Discontent over H1 plan

A Navy spokesman found out last week that "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer when the question involves restoration of historic Hangar One.

At a meeting of the Moffett Field Restoration Advisory Board, Darren Newton drew the ire of several members who wanted to know if the Navy was in talks with NASA Ames about how the hangar's siding would be removed and new material applied.

When Newton was asked whether discussions between the Navy and NASA about recovering the hangar were actually happening, his "I don't know" response was not well-received by several members of advisory board.

"The Navy has an obligation to make sure you have the answers," local pilot Steve Williams said to Newton. "'I don't know' is not an acceptable answer to any of the questions here."

Kevin Woodhouse, representing the City of Mountain View, reported that NASA Ames was in discussions with the Navy to ensure that the agency will be able to quickly replace the siding on the hangar (the Navy is required by law to remove Hangar One's toxic siding, and NASA now wants to restore the massive structure). But Newton would not confirm this.

Preservationists are skeptical because the Navy has said that it wants to simply leave the hangar's uncovered frame behind, which some say could be detrimental to the historic structure.

"If the Navy removes the siding and runs like hell, that will be unacceptable," said Bob Moss, the civilian co-chair of the RAB. Moss said he would seek an "act of congress" to keep that from happening.

Lenny Siegel, director of the Center for Public Environmental Oversight, and a member of the RAB, said he hoped the discussions between NASA Ames and the Navy were actually happening and expressed concern about the "failure of them to be transparent."

"We don't want to disrupt the process, but we don't want to wait around for something bad to happen either," Siegel said.

Forest could help clean toxics

In an effort to pull toxic chemicals from the groundwater at Moffett Field, the Navy has hired a contractor who wants to plant a small forest of up to 100 trees next to Hangar Three.

Dan Lay of Shaw Environmental presented the plan, which would create a small orchard-like grouping of trees at "Site 26," which has a plume of chlorinated ethenes 6 feet below the surface.

The tree roots would pull up the contaminated water and break down the chemicals naturally, Lay said. The trees won't do the whole job, however. Lay said a substrate called EHC would be injected into the ground to help break down the toxic chemicals first.

Orion housing being torn down

The Army has begun demolishing dozens of vacant apartment buildings just outside the main gate at Moffett Field to make way for a reserve training and command center.

The northern 60 percent of the 147-unit Orion Park apartment complex will be torn down, a NASA employee said at Thursday's RAB meeting. The remaining 40 percent will remain until further plans are made.

The center will serve hundreds of reservists from around the state, especially on weekends. Local military housing has begun to fill up with new active duty Army personnel.

The Army is expected to break ground for the new training center in 2009. Planning for the project is in its final stage.


There are no comments yet. Please share yours below.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

The Saddle Room – A True Friend of Kids
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 2,123 views

Palo Alto: Pastis owner to open second French restaurant
By Elena Kadvany | 2 comments | 1,384 views

The Four E's--Pope Francis and the Middle Class
By Steve Levy | 3 comments | 1,000 views

My College Mindset is Intrinsically Motivated
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 906 views

Radical Acceptance
By Caroline Fleck | 0 comments | 258 views