Last Thursday's blaze on Springer Road was caused by an electrical fire and left four people homeless, including a single mom and her small child, the Mountain View Fire Department reported.
The two-alarm fire, which severely damaged the home at 1825 Springer Road, occurred because of the "classic electrical octopus," said fire department spokesman Lynn Brown. Too many electrical objects "were plugged into a socket, and it overheated."
Firefighters, receiving the call at 6:30 p.m. on March 19, put out the blaze quickly. But one room was completely destroyed, and much of the rest of the house was uninhabitable due to roof and smoke damage, Brown said. No one was home when the fire occurred.
Among the occupants was Christine Lindsay, a single mom renting a room in the house with her one-and-a-half-year-old son. Lindsay, a 34-year-old De Anza College student, said she lost all her possessions in the blaze.
The local chapter of the American Red Cross has offered assistance, and donations to help the fire victims may be made by calling (408) 577-1000 or by visiting www.siliconvalley-redcross.org.