A three-alarm fire Tuesday morning on the first block of Gladys Avenue destroyed a vehicle and one unit of a four-plex and damaged the other three units, fire officials said.
The Mountain View Fire Department received several calls shortly after 10 a.m. from neighbors of the building, located at 55 Gladys Ave., and firefighters from Mountain View, Santa Clara County and Palo Alto arrived quickly.
The blaze had started in the carport of one unit, but soon spread, according to fire spokesman Lynn Brown. The resident of that unit told fire officials that he had put gas in the carburetor of his car and was letting the vehicle run, Brown said.
As a result, "Somehow something hot came in contact with combustible materials," Brown said. He said the fire was accidental.
Firefighters were able to control the blaze by 10:45 a.m., and at noon they were examining the still-smoldering ruins. No serious injuries were reported; one resident suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene.
Brown said the fire destroyed the car and the unit where it started, and caused damage to a second unit, two other cars and a motorcycle. The last two units in the four-plex suffered smoke damage.
"It pretty much trashed one apartment," Brown said.
Damage is estimated at more than $100,000. Red Cross volunteers have responded to provide shelter for the residents of the four-plex.