Pedro Carbajal pleads not guilty

Pedro Carbajal, the Mountain View soccer coach who was arrested last February on charges of molesting three girls, pleaded not guilty during a short pre-hearing last week in county Superior Court.

Mountain View police arrested Carbajal, 33, on Feb. 27, charging him with three counts of lewd and lascivious acts with children under 14 and one count of aggravated sexual abuse of a child. The alleged victims, all females, ranged in age from 7 to 9 at the time of the incidents, and were members of Carbajal's extended family, police said. The alleged crimes occurred five to 10 years ago.

Carbajal, whose bail is set at $2 million, briefly appeared in the Palo Alto courthouse on Wednesday, July 1, to plead not guilty, according to district attorney spokesperson Amy Cornell. He is being represented by deputy public defender Ross McMahon.

Carbajal was known for his good works in the Mountain View community, volunteering on committees in the local elementary school district for Latino parents and, most famously, co-founding the Amigos Soccer League for at-risk boys in hopes of keeping them away from gangs. (The Amigos League is not related to the "Kick, Lead and Dream" soccer program.) Carbajal later joined forces with Mountain View police for help in running his soccer league.

Police said most of Carbajal's alleged crimes occurred at family events, at which Carbajal would get himself alone with the girls. The girls told police that they kept the incidents secret because they did not want to hurt their family or get into trouble, according to police reports. The younger girl later confided in an adult after getting into trouble at school; she said she was acting out at school because she was angry, according to the report.

Carbajal is next scheduled to appear in court for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at 9 a.m. in Department 88 at the Palo Alto courthouse. His trial is likely to be held at the end of October.

Those interested in helping Carbajal's wife and children can send donations to: Gloria Reyes Valdes, Heritage Bank of Commerce, 175 E. El Camino Real, Mountain View, 94040.

Comments

Posted by mom, a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 6, 2009 at 2:50 pm

If he is guilty I hope he gets the sentence that he deserves as a sexual predator targeting little girls. If he is not guilty, I don't think that as a mother I would feel comfortable ever having him around my children.

Posted by dad, a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 6, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Guilty or not, he is done.

Posted by concerned citizen, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Jul 7, 2009 at 5:58 am

That's the terrible part, guilty or NOT his life will never be the same. I've got a bad feeling that there might be a troubled middle schooler who sacrificed a relative to get out of trouble. He has sat in jail since February with a wife and children at home. He lost his job, his benefits, etc - there are many people suffering from a charge like this. I hope someone is working vigilantly to find out the validity of the charges.

Posted by mom, a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 7, 2009 at 2:48 pm

To Concerned Citizen,

It is not just ONE troubled middle schooler as you mentioned; there are THREE total that claimed to be molested by that man. I feel for the wife and the children, but if he is guilty, even more reason to keep him away from his own children. Maybe he should have thought of that wife and children before acting in such manner. However, if he is innocent, he should be able to prove it.

Posted by dad, a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I agree with you, mom. Almost all untill this: However, if he is innocent, he should be able to prove it. HOW? Its his word against the accusers. He is guilty untill he gets lucky which he won't if he is innocent. I will say it again, he is done for no matter what!

Posted by Friend, a resident of another community
on Jul 9, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thank you Concerned Citizen.

Have ANY of you seen Pedro's support? no, i suppose you haven't because YOU DON'T KNOW HIM! Pedro is loved by his community and we will all be there for him in this process.

Dad, you have no faith- and you are not psychic. Pedro's future is not in the lawyer or in the courts hand. He is in God's hands. He is NOT done. Would any of you say the same if it was your son, relative or friend on trial?

Posted by family member?, a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Jul 12, 2009 at 12:08 am

'Mom' and 'Dad' are right, he is done. A question though -to 'Friend'- how can you be sure that he is innocent? Why don't you put yourself in the girls' position? You are being very objectionable.

Posted by Friend, a resident of another community
on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:54 am

Yes, I'm being extremely objectionable. And Family member?, I NEVER said I was sure he was innocent! shame on you for putting words into my mouth. Let me ask you- are YOU SURE he's guilty? Because I see no evidence, and I'm not SURE of anything. I'm just not going to be so quick to judge him.

Posted by alex, a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 13, 2009 at 11:42 am

If you think that his fate is in Gods hands, I am sorry for you. God is not going to save everyone.
I am no psychic, but I have seen what happends to people who have been cleared of all charges. They never recover, especialy people who work with kids. I have been to court and I personaly have witnessed the circus first hand. And it is a CIRCUS.
I am not judging him, public opinion will. no matter if he is guilty or innocent.
I wish him the best of luck, his chances are slim to none

Posted by concerned citizen, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Jul 15, 2009 at 3:10 pm

The three accusers are sisters (his nieces), not random incidents. I don't know if he is guilty or innocent but I do know that sometimes confused middle schoolers don't understand the repercussions of their actions. What we don't know here is what prompted her to come forward to announce this (with confirmation from sisters later) - I think she was causing trouble and needed an explanation for her behavior. What a perfect way to take the attention off of her and immediately excuse her actions. Maybe he did it, I don't know but what an incredible injustice if it's not true. You say he should be able to prove his innocence, how exactly does he do that - it's been 5 to 10 years ago!? I just think there is room for family collusion here - we don't have three individual families.