About 860 people have weighed in on potential service cuts at Caltrain, including 245 who attended the company's Bay Area public opinion meetings on Aug. 19, a spokeswoman said.
"The concern seemed to be the same at all meetings," spokeswoman Christine Dunn said.
Train riders are concerned about Caltrain suspending its weekend service and its service to Gilroy. Others want fare increases: 190 people said they favor a 25-cent increase in base or zone fares in order to avoid service cuts.
The increase to base fares would generate $900,000 additional revenue for Caltrain, and a zone fare increase would generate a potential $1.4 million in revenue.
Officials at Caltrain announced on Aug. 13 their need to solve a $2.3 million gap in budget. They are letting the public weigh in their comments until Sept. 2, when there will be a formal public hearing at the Caltrain headquarters in San Carlos.
Other proposals offered include a suspension of service and redefinition of youth to ages 17 years and younger. Currently, high school students who are 18 years old still qualify for youth-related discounts.
Caltrain has been facing ongoing budget problems. Last year, the company eliminated eight midday trains and increased parking fees in order to handle a $2.6 million budget gap.
"We don't see a light at the end of this tunnel," Dunn said.
"We're dangerously close to that tipping point when you begin to lose ridership, and then it becomes a vicious cycle with dire consequences."