14-year-old robbed of cell phone on way home from school

A 14-year-old Mountain View boy was beaten and robbed of his cell phone on March 2, as he walked home from Crittenden Middle School with his 12-year-old sister.

The perpetrators, described by the boy and his sister as a group of three boys, all around the age of 16, approached the victim at about 3:40 p.m. as he walked near the intersection of Ada and Gladys avenues.

One of the three assailants, grabbed the boy from behind, forcing him to the ground and attempted to take the iPod the victim was holding. The boy was able to hold on to the iPod, but after his attacker punched him in the back of the head a few times, he reached into the victim's pocket and stole a Verizon cell phone.

The attacker's companions did not participate directly in the robbery, they only looked on and fled together with the cell phone.

The victim reported pain in his head, but no other injuries.

--- --- ---

Correction:

The headline in this article has been changed. It originally stated, incorrectly, that the boy was robbed of his iPod. In fact, he was robbed of his cell phone, but managed to hold on to his iPod.

Comments

Posted by trina
a resident of Monta Loma
on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:06 pm

That is scary. Those poor kids. Can't even let them walk home from school anymore.

Posted by Doctor Killjoy
a resident of Waverly Park
on Mar 5, 2011 at 11:55 pm

"The three juveniles were said to be either Hispanic or white, and wearing baggy jeans and dark T-shirts."

Please. I think we all know which "or" perpetrated this crime.

Posted by The Park
a resident of Jackson Park
on Mar 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

So Doc...By this you mean they must have been hispanic? Stop relying on stereotypes and wait for the facts.

Posted by alex
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

no, you cant let them walk home unless they can fight.

Which "or". I have seen many white kids do this. Had this done to me by a white kid, and I did it my self and I am white. Joy killed

Karma is a b|tch. you do dirt and it will come by to haunt you.
Good luck!

Posted by BD
on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:19 am

If even the victim and witness to the crime can't say whether the perps were hispanic or white, I don't see how an internet commenter could tell. The Park: you seem like a very judgmental and arrogant person. I hope I never meet you in real life.

Posted by reader
a resident of Waverly Park
on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

A kid gets his iPod stolen while walking home from school and this is important local news?

Must have been a slow day at the MV Voice offices up there in Palo Alto.

How about a story about any one of the myriad wonderful things that our children and students are doing in MV schools?

50 kids performed at a vocal arts concert last week, but the news is one kid's iPod.

About 150 kids will go on a performing arts tour to Anaheim later this year, but the news is one kid's iPod.

A few dozen students will tour Washington D.C. and other historic sites during spring break, but the news is one kid's iPod.

And that's just one school. We have at least 20 public and private schools in Mountain View, and every one of those schools has kids who are working hard, participating in clubs, sports, performing arts, community service activities, not to mention rigorous academics, along with the parents and staff that help make it possible.

With all the great things happening at MV schools, the Voice decides that one kid's iPod being stolen is newsworthy?

Posted by writer
on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm

reader, all that stuff is b-o-r-i-n-g

Posted by Steve
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Why does the title say the boy was robbed of his iPod, but in the text of the article it says "the boy was able to hold on to the iPod", and that only a cell phone was stolen?

Posted by Nick V
Mountain View Voice Staff Writer
on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Nick V is a registered user.

@Steve: Thank you for noticing the error in the headline. In fact, the boy did manage to hold onto his iPod. It was his cell phone that was stolen. We have updated the story and posted a correction at the bottom.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Waverly Park
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Actually Reader, I DO want to know about robberies in my City. I would also like to hear about some of the other things you describe, but my main concern is the safety of my kids. If this article lets me know that, and what I can pass on to them about trouble to look out for or where it recently occurred, then this article did its job. I am sorry if you think it puts things in a negative light or should not be reported upon.

Posted by Disgusted
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

The police are not able to keep our children safe anymore so please explain the new rule: Don't walk around w/ any electronic devices visible.
The target of violent robberies now appears to be our children.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Waverly Park
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

What is also sad Reader, is that you see this as just a story about a kid losing an iPod (the thing you seem fixated on repeating). I see it as a story about a kid physically assaulted be other kids, who may or may not even be from the area. It is not about the image of local schools, kids, or whatever you are worried about. It is about letting us know what to be aware of in our community. Maybe we should not report on sexual assaults on the Stevens Creek trail because we done want to dissuade people from its beauty.

Posted by Me
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I'm glad the Voice keeps us updated on these kind of things. We do want to know when bad things happen in our town as well as good. The TV news always lets you know about the bad stuff first. We all need to be aware of it and what is going on around us. I would say, if you are bored or tired of hearing about it, scan over it and go on to happy stuff. It's too bad when you hear about things like this happening to our kids or anyone. I really don't feel safe in my neighborhood anymore. I won't even take my garbage out to the street at night. I tell my kids and their friends to be aware of their surroundings. It's too bad as I have been living in Mountain View for 32 years. I remember when it was a safe place to live.

Posted by Disgusted
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

@Me, I think your memories have turned rosy over time. I was in Mtn View 32 years ago as well. At that time you did not walk down Castro St. at night w/out risking harm. That was a pretty well known bit of local knowledge. Its much safer now in many respects but still not perfect.

Posted by Thom
a resident of Jackson Park
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Don't give kids cell phones. Cell phones, texting...is all a part of society going away. Kids these days need to work on real social skills. No 14 year old should have a cell phone.

Posted by Thom
a resident of Jackson Park
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:55 pm

To those blaming the police. Are you serious? Our police men and women are not your childs babysitting service. Take responsibility in your own child. Don't let them walk home, get up and pick them up ot find a ride for them. Start a car pool, get pro-active and stop being reactive.

Posted by Disgusted
on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm

@Thom I haven't seen anyone BLAMING the police. Blaming the police and saying that they cannot protect these kids are two different things.
Here, I'll show you:
Blame: The police are responsible for this crime.
Not Blame: The police can't protect you from the crime.

This learning moment brought to you by reading comprehension...Reading Comprehension, the right tool for formulating a comment on what you just read...or what you THOUGHT you just read.

Posted by Dave
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm

God bless the child who can hold his own
(big daddy kane version)

Posted by parent-reader
a resident of Jackson Park
on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

I agree with Ron and reader both.

MV Voice should report what we are doing good at our schools and community. We all need to read and draw motivation to do more!

Negative news gets more readership is besides the point - a sad thing - maybe because all our life is routine. Regardless of that - the main point is we need to be on top of things going wrong. So its important to report what is going wrong. Maybe more important.

Posted by Nana
on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:57 am

re: Thom

Your comment that "no 14 yr old should have a cell phone".. Let's really think about
that... How many crimes do you think could be avoided if kids had cell phones? How
many kidnappings could be averted? Come on, now, get your head out of the sand...

Posted by Bill
a resident of North Whisman
on May 29, 2011 at 12:37 am

the victim was Hispanic the suspects were Irish. i witness how the red haired kids jumped him dam red heads