Buckle up or pay up, police say

'Click It or Ticket' seat belt enforcement campaign launches today

The "Click It or Ticket" seat belt campaign is upping enforcement this week throughout the state and Bay Area, police officials announced.

Although seat belt usage is always enforced, from May 23 through June 5, police officers will be especially aware of unbelted drivers and passengers to dole out fines. Nighttime enforcement will also increase.

A first-time adult seat belt violation is a minimum of $142, and the fine is $445 for children under 16 years old.

About 96 percent of Californians use seat belts, but that leaves roughly one million people who are not buckling up, Oakland police officials said.

Comments

Posted by Duke, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 23, 2011 at 10:52 am

"Click It or Ticket" doesn't rhyme.

Posted by Liz W., a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 23, 2011 at 12:36 pm

So instead of concentrating limited (and dwindling) resources on more serious CRIMES - - once again "law enforcement" is going after whatever brings them the most REVENUE.

It's not at all about 'safety' . . . it's all about $ $ $.

Posted by @Duke, a resident of The Crossings
on May 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Who said anything about rhyming?

Posted by PS, a resident of Shoreline West
on May 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I agree with Liz...go after the drivers who are creating a danger to others, e.g., speeders, phone users, red light runners, those who roll thru stop signs instead of the 4% who don't use a seat belt. How much time and energy will be spent on trying to change this statistic?
It seems that this is just a project for a lazy department. Do they get federal or state funds to put on these programs?

Posted by Sparty, a resident of Shoreline West
on May 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Because we all know how well the cell phone "crackdowns" have gone in the past

Posted by Char, a resident of Monta Loma
on May 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Just do it! I got a ticket for $160 as I was attempting to put it on, driving out of the Kaiser parking lot. Too late!! The officer saw me. My bad. I agree with those who wish officers would crack down on those with more serious issues, though. Still, its simple to do and now I gotta pay my fine. Lesson learned.

Posted by Steve , a resident of Sylvan Park
on May 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Is the crime level in Mtn. View really so low that protecting me from myself is a prioriy? Which idiot makes these decisions?

Posted by Observer, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I agree, the MVPD only enforce for crimes and infractions that involve a revenue stream.

Posted by k, a resident of Shoreline West
on May 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm

There are people who still don't wear seatbelts? Amazing.

Places like SF and stuff should crack down on those crazy cab drivers who make it so you can't use the seatbelts in cabs, too. Not giving me at least the option of using a seatbelt in a cab is making you have no option but to get sued if you get in an accident!

Posted by gcoladon, a resident of North Whisman
on May 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm

gcoladon is a registered user.

People who don't use seatbelts on the highway are self-nominating for a Darwin award.

FWIW I would also like to disagree with Duke, IMHO it does rhyme.

Posted by Dave, a resident of Cuesta Park
on May 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Glad I don't have to worry about this since I ride a motorycle. Now I only have to worry about all the people out there that can't drive or are talking on their cell phones. Well, at least I know they will be belted in when they hit and kill me.

Posted by gcoladon, a resident of North Whisman
on May 23, 2011 at 5:53 pm

gcoladon is a registered user.

Dave, my impression is that riding a motorcycle puts one squarely in statistical harm's way. Is my impression correct?

Posted by jusme, a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm

First of all almighty-bloggers-of-the-earth, this is a state-wide campaign to nab idiots that don't use their seat-belts. They are all over, ya' know, not just here in Mtn. View where cops are lazy or are just out to make revenue for whoever. Get a life, folks. And, how 'bout thanking these officers for the job they do!!!

Posted by Police State, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Each time I see a Police Car with officers not using seat belts they will be under arrest and subject to jail without hearing or trial, the car will be towed. The Police MUST have their seatbelt on at all TIMEs no matter what the circumstance is, it is for their safety. It will not be on the police driving record.

Does the Coast Guard give you a ticket for not wearing a life preserver NO! Does the FAA give you a ticket for not wearing your seat belt NO! Police must have seat belts on at all times when in the patrol car or else face jail time.

Posted by Jack, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm

We'd be even safer if we wore helmets too.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Sylvan Park
on May 24, 2011 at 7:00 am

1) I don't need my 'daddy' to tell me to wear my seatbelt. 2) The police STATEWIDE should put their crimefighting resources to better use.
As for thanking them for the job they do...when they focus on crime instead of merely generating revenue, I do!

Posted by yonatan, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yeah...it is terrible when the Police go after people who break the law. Especially when the break laws that are in place to make sure that they and many other people don't die.

How DARE the police do such a terrible thing. The Police should realize that some laws are more important than others.