Dittmer's moving to new location

The Mountain View institution known as Dittmer's Gourmet Meats and Wurst-Haus will reopen in a new Mountain View location within the next few months.

Dittmer's caught fire on Jan. 23. It's believed to have started when wood chips in a meat smoker were overheated and set alight because of a faulty thermostat switch. The store's numerous customers have been wondering ever since when Dittmer's will begin selling its sandwiches, sausages and award-winning meats again.

Owner Dittmer Bubert said work was underway to move the store but would not disclose the exact location, saying he wanted no distractions as work goes on inside. He would say that the new store is located on El Camino Real and is bigger and better than the former San Antonio Road location. Bubert said Dittmer's would reopen within the next few months, six months at the latest.

Stay updated on Dittmer's reopening on Dittmer's Facebook page.

Comments

Posted by Martha, a resident of Waverly Park
on May 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Great news that they will soon be back in business!

Posted by Will Gryll, a resident of Cuesta Park
on May 31, 2011 at 2:31 pm

so much for getting my cholesterol under 250 this summer

Posted by Trisha Robbins, a resident of another community
on May 31, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I was beginning to think I'd have to go to a Comedy Club in order to get a good laugh. Thankfully, Dittmer's will re-open soon and Mark will make me smile while I'm ordering delicious meats. *whew*

Posted by Daisy, a resident of Rex Manor
on May 31, 2011 at 3:01 pm

As an environmentalist I'm VERY MUCH AGAINST EATING MEAT! Consuming meat destroys our environment for all generations to come not to mention the in ordinate amount of methane gas produced!
The Mountain View Environmental Sustainability Committee should ban meat and instruct consumers on the right way to live in harmony with mother nature.

Posted by Student of History, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 31, 2011 at 3:30 pm

"The [X] Committee should ban [Y] and instruct consumers on the right way to live ..."

It's been tried, for various behaviors [Y], based on advocates' sincere belief that they know best how _other people_ should behave. For example, several countries troubled by alcoholism legally banned most alcoholic drinks around 1920. In the course of the US's ban, per-capita alcohol consumption actually rose, prices soared, product quality and safety plummeted, the number of bars in major cities rose, a promising domestic wine industry was destroyed (fully recovering only around 1990 according to Jancis Robinson), and US organized crime got its principal start-up funding. By the 1930s this particular attempt at social engineering had been repealed in all countries, but some of its disastrous side effects endured.

Making mistakes is OK. Failing to learn from them isn't.

Posted by PETA, a resident of North Whisman
on May 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hey Daisy,

Go PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Posted by steve, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 31, 2011 at 3:52 pm

@Daisy: I'm very much against eating plants. They convert carbon dioxide into life sustaining oxygen. Anyone eating them is killing our planet. Consumers should be instructed in the right way to live with mother nature by eating rabbits, vegans, vegetarians, and anything else that consumes plant life

Well, I'm off to do my part by eating a big juicy 16oz rib eye steak.

Posted by steve, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

@PETA: Now that was funny!

Posted by Martin Omander, a resident of Rex Manor
on May 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Good to hear Dittmer's will reopen! We were quite worried they wouldn't.

By the way, one way of reducing your impact on the environment and keeping your weight under control is to eat high-quality meat, from Dittmer's and other fine establishments. Studies have shown that the tastier a food is, the less you have to eat of it to feel satisfied. Bland fast food burgers and nasty hot dogs cause considerably more damage to the environment and our bodies than premium meats.

See you at Dittmer's when they reopen!

Posted by Lol, a resident of another community
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:02 am

They should reopen Dittmer's in Hangar One...

Posted by Mark in Mnt Vw, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

For me, Dittmer's is one in a string of odd closures in that area. There used to be a great sushi place next door and it closed rather suddenly, as did the liquor store/market that I'd go into for Lotto. If I were on council, I would be taking a look at who owns that plot of land and what their plans for re-use are.
Good luck to the new Dittmer's location - we'll be there for grand re-opening!!

Posted by NW Resident, a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

I always love how seemingly innocuous stories from the MV Voice turn into discussions on the environment, vegitarianism, immigration, matters of race, etc, etc.

It's clear that everyone has opinions, but also good to see folks keeping their sense of humor in an open forum!

Posted by Bex, a resident of Shoreline West
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

I now have that commercial stuck in my head of the lady standing in front of a store chanting, "Open, open, open", repeatedly. That's probably why they're not telling us where the new store is.

Posted by uhHuh, a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jun 3, 2011 at 11:57 pm

@Daisy...
how did you post to the online forums? Were there any plastics (petroleum products) used in the computer or phone you used? If so, you should weigh the necessity of these products against the damage you are doing to the environment. While you may hold your personal opinions in very high regard, I can assure you that on my 'correctness of living scale', your opinions rank well below my desire for paprika sausage, so the damage your opinions cause to the environment on my utility-weighted scale gives me great concern. I'm on a few governmental committees... do you think I should exert my influence on these committees to assess your choices??? Thankfully, we still have elections.

Posted by Greg David, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jun 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Let's all just hope that Dittmer does not get tangled up in the zoning and permitting process. Mtn.View claims to be business friendly, but that's not what I've seen. Unless of course you are some mega-corp that doesn't even generate sales tax revenue.

Good luck Dittmer! I am really looking forward to the new Wursthaus!