Local woman to pay medical bills with $1 million lottery prize

Mountain View resident Emily Leach had the good fortune to wake up from a tumor-induced coma two years ago, and on Friday she won $1 million in the state lottery to pay off her medical bills.

The 30-year-old Mountain View resident found the winning $10 ticket among $40 worth she had purchased from the Liquor and Tobacco store at 1040 N. Rengstorff Ave. When she scratched the winning number on the $250 Million Cash Spectacular sweepstakes ticket, she reportedly locked herself in her car and frantically called her mother, who thought she had been in a car accident.

"I've got so many medical expenses, and all of my paychecks go to paying Kaiser and to live here and everything," she said in an ABC television interview Monday. "Just things like this just don't happen to me, you know. I don't know -- it's a miracle."

Leach reportedly also won $5,000 in the lottery just before Christmas.

"Her lottery winnings will go a long way toward paying off medical bills and helping out her family, who she says have helped her tremendously," reports the California Lottery website. "Emily also told us that she has two brothers who live out of state, so she hopes to get everyone together for a much-needed family vacation."

Leach continues to battle her tumor, and says it was a miracle that she woke up from her coma. The odds of her winning the Lottery prize? One in 1.2 million.

Comments

Posted by Litsa
a resident of Willowgate
on Jan 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

That's awesome. Good for her.

Posted by Dollar Bill
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Jan 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

40 $10 tickets? And she won $5k at Christmas? I guess not all her money goes to Kaiser!

Posted by Tim
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Jan 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

EXACTLY what I was thinking, Dollar Bill... tough to empathize with "hard luck" when they walk out of a liquor store with $400 in gambling

Posted by Gerry
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

She bought 40 dollars worth. The voice has it wrong.

Posted by BD
a resident of North Whisman
on Jan 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Great for her!!!! and yes Daniel reported wrong she bought (4) Ten dollar tickets for a $40 investment... didn't know about the 5k...

Posted by Mr. T
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:52 am

DB, the Voice reported "$10 ticket among $40 worth she had purchased". Congratulations to Emily!

Posted by Emily L.
on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:12 am

Please don't be mean to me, I only buy tickets occasionally, usually on payday 40 dollars. I work very hard for the VA Palo Alto, they gave me permission to say that I work there, and I was at work yesterday. Not that I have to explain but I will so that you are not mean, try to see the good in people, the good fortune that good people have. Maybe it will happen for you and I wish you all of the blessings in the world.

Posted by Seer
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:06 am

Emily, congratulations on your good fortune. Clearly the universe wants you to heal and thrive. I have confidence that your tumor will go away.

Posted by Seer
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

I find it very disappointing that people like Dollar Bill find it appropriate and even a worthwhile way to spend their time, mete out public judgment of others for having good fortune.

Bill, there will always be others who have more than you do, and you'd do well to spend your energies either being satisfied with what you have, or working to float everyone's boat in this country where we all have to fight against the corporatist plan to make the rich richer and everyone else poor. The US already has a disparity between wealthy and poor that is greater than the Roman empire had. Begrudging Emily her winnings isn't going to fix that.

How Emily chooses to spend a small amount of money on entertainment is not your business, and I'm sure you spend more on it yourself. While I'm not religious, I think Jesus had it right when he said let those without sin be the first to cast a stone.

Posted by Dollar Bill
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Jan 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Emily,

Now that I see Mr. DeBolt misrepresented the amount you spent in the original article I am not so amazed. Very glad you won!

Mr. DeBolt spends a good deal of time correcting his stories I have noticed. (And yes, Seer, I too have made errors and no, I did not make a judgement about Emily, just an observation, relax.)

Posted by Ned
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm

After taxes, bills, vacations, and helping out family and friends, there won't be much left.

Posted by tommygee54
a resident of Rex Manor
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hey it is about time someone in our fair city of Mtn. View won a million dollars playing scratcher tickets. Good for you Emily that you were in the right place at the right time. You deserve it. AND you can spend the money any way you like, even to buy more lottery tickets.

Posted by former mv resident
on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:54 pm

WOO HOO!!!!!!! HOORAY FOR EMILY!!!!!!! :0)

Posted by Mr. T
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Emily,

You are the best! I love living in America and MTV!

Good luck with your winnings.

Posted by Shelley B
on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Emily I am so happy for you. When Bill told me yesterday that you won I couldn't stop smiling. You are a sweet girl and deserve the good fortune and good health!