Rally at City Hall celebrates Prop 8 ruling

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling against California's gay marriage ban was met with celebration at a rally in front of Mountain View City Hall Tuesday evening.

"Rulings like the one today make me feel like it is an awesome time to be lesbian or gay or transgender," said Shoshana Batson, a 21-year-old member of Outlet, a Mountain View-based organization for queer youth.

On Tuesday a panel of judges ruled unconstitutional the 2008 ballot measure known as Proposition 8. Before it passed, gay marriage was legal for a time in California. But many of the 50 people who attended the p.m. rally on Tuesday weren't fortunate enough to have gotten married during that window.

"Are you more qualified than I am" to be married "just because you were born a different time then I was?" asked Campbell council member Evan Low, just before taking the microphone. As a council member, "I can marry people, but I cannot get married myself," he said.

Rally organizers with Marriage Equality USA said they fully expected the ruling to be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

It seems like "we are one step away from true equality," said Leslie Bulbuk, field representative for Assembly member Paul Fong's office.

"We are equal again, sort-of, kind-of, but we have to wait," Mike Eller told the crowd. He said people should be angry in this election year when equality becomes subject to debate and "some people are fully people and some people are three-fifths people."

State Senate candidate and former mayor Sally Lieber, who married Bulbuk and her wife at City Hall before the ban, said of Proposition 8 that "I think the voters were duped into passing it."

"Voters cannot overturn fundamental rights," said Steve Kline, a candidate for San Jose City Council, interpreting the court's decision.

"Mountain View prides itself in diversity, in every way, in every sense," said Mountain View City Council member Ronit Bryant about the city hosting the rally. She added that if the Supreme Court upholds the ruling, "Let's celebrate here again."

Comments

Posted by Ben, a resident of North Whisman
on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:52 am

A judge can overturn the will of the majority of voters, but homosexuals will never be able to force people to respect them.

Posted by Ned, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:00 am

I agree. But they are constantly whining about something and wanting even more.

Posted by Ray Hixson, a resident of Waverly Park
on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thank you to the Mountain View residents and local leaders who attended last night to support our freedom to marry the person we choose and love. Also, thank you for supporting our youth. It feels great to live in such a nice community as Mountain View. This is a very special place.

Posted by Villa Streat, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Homosexual marriage contributes nothing to the scheme of mankind, it is nothing more than sanctioned sexual promiscuity. If homosexuality vanished from the face of the earth in he next instant it would have no affect at all on mankind.

Posted by Wo\'O Ideafarm, a resident of another community
on Feb 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Wo\'O Ideafarm is a registered user.

"Queer" means "Doesn't conform to the cultural sexual norm". None of us conforms completely. Some people are just more queer than others.

In our free society, an individual can deviate from the cultural sexual norm in some ways without fear of punishment or discrimination (in theory). But that freedom does not imply the right to silence the norm.

Cultural norms are important. If you think that a norm should be changed, you can use your freedom to speak to promote your viewpoint. But you don't get to silence your opponents. In our system, truth emerges from vigorous, meaningful public debate.

This ruling is all about silencing the cultural sexual norm. This attempt to redefine the word "marriage" is nothing more or less than an attempt to silence the cultural norm that promotes male/female coupling and proclaims that people should not be (more than a little) queer.

I used my "An Unfinished Street Essay" to present viewpoints on many topics, including this one, for which my viewpoint is that "queers are perverts". The City of Mountain View and the County of Santa Clara have spent over one million dollars of taxpayer money to silence me by entangling me in legal proceedings. These proceedings involved thirty five misdemeanor charges, a felony charge, the seizure of both of my "Doghouses" as well as all of my other speech equipment, and a court gag order prohibiting me from placing anything on the street, which effectively forecloses my method of speech. I have been silent for 13 months now. This is not voluntary.

There has been no meaningful, vigorous public debate on Proposition 8. There has been no open minded consideration, in the civic conversation in Mountain View, of the currently politically incorrect viewpoint that "queers are perverts". Without such open minded, honest, vigorous, and thorough debate and dialog, there is no legitimacy in these rulings or in the change that they are crafted to bring about.

Every language has a word that refers to "the rights and duties of a mated male and female". In English, the word is "marriage". No government, no matter how autocratic and invasive, can abolish these words or alter their meaning. The present attempt to do so is foolish and will be counterproductive. The queer community should instead pursue their civil rights the way that it was done by their counterparts in the U.K. In the U.K., there was no attempt to redefine the word "marriage".

Posted by Momof2, a resident of Waverly Park
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Momof2 is a registered user.

I am so thankful that my family can again say that we live in a state that does not have discriminatory laws.

I am also so thankful and proud of the youth in this town that stand up for what is right. I hope that they are all celebrating a victory for this state.

For those who do not understand or agree with homosexuality, this is a victory for a state and a community to agree not to discriminate. For people who disagree due to religion - if they are wrong for what they do in the eyes of God, there will be a Judgment day. BUT, it is not for you to judge.

Posted by Martin, a resident of Rex Manor
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Martin is a registered user.

Congratulations to all the loving couples who can now marry and live normal, boring lives like the rest of us!

Equality before the law is what matters here. Only a minority of the population wanted to allow mixed-race marriages in the 1950s.

Posted by Wo\'O Ideafarm, a resident of another community
on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wo\'O Ideafarm is a registered user.

This issue deserves vigorous, open minded dialog and debate. Will anyone here join me in a real dialog where all participants are listening to, and responding to, each other?

I claim that the fight over Prop. 8 isn't about civil rights or discrimination at all. It is a fight to preserve, or alter, the definition of the word "marriage". It is a fight over the freedom to speak, which includes the freedom to rebuke. The queer community just wants to silence an idea that is inconvenient for them. The concept of marriage, combined with the norm that everyone should marry, is inconvenient for those who do not conform to it. This is really just an attempt to use the force of government to silence the cultural norm that condemns queerness as morally wrong.

Please give me your thoughts. I'm not speaking to hear myself speak. I am speaking in the hope of igniting the kind of vigorous, honest dialog and debate that is required for our system of self government to work. Meet my claim squarely, logically, honestly, and with good will. Don't ignore it. Don't change the subject. Don't respond with an insult. Show me that you are capable of self government. Show me that there is still reason to believe that this community is capable of self government and of real community.

Posted by Wo\'O Ideafarm, a resident of another community
on Feb 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Wo\'O Ideafarm is a registered user.

IMO, dialog is far more important than debate. I want to see people who agree with me listening, really listening, to people who disagree with me, and vice versa. Mountain View won't be a real community until people are so strongly united by the core values that unite "We the People" in the United States, "liberty and justice for all", that we can really listen to those who disagree with us about the implementation details without forgetting that we are united by our common goal.

I know that there are very intelligent people who are more queer than I am reading this. I invite you to dialog with me, with the goal of listening to each other and focusing on the core values that we have in common. Let us come together with neither of us attempting to change the other person's opinion. Let us celebrate diversity and tolerance by practicing it, not in the stalemate of two opposing armies, but in real unity, in real brotherhood. Let us demonstrate what real community, real unity, looks like, right here.

I will reward the courage of the queer person who engages me by refraining from any attempt at persuasion. Your queerness doesn't separate us. I am more than a little queer, as is everyone reading this. Who will engage me? Who will tell me what they think about my idea? Who will tell me their ideas?

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Veggie Grill coming soon to Mountain View's San Antonio Center

Is HBO's Silicon Valley Any Good?
By Anita Felicelli | 23 comments | 2,217 views

Finding mentors in would-be bosses
By Jessica T | 0 comments | 1,925 views

The No Sweat Way to Bike to Work
By Janet Lafleur | 9 comments | 1,909 views

Analyze data yourself with R - a fast growing language for statistics, forecasting and graphs
By Angela Hey | 1 comment | 1,084 views