Memorial service planned for victim in fatal accident

Crash on Highway 85 may have been a hit and run, officials say

A memorial service for the woman who died after crashing into a tree on the side of Highway 85 in Mountain View is set for Thursday, June 28.

Arlette Alonso, a 25-year-old Mountain View resident and UC Merced graduate, was the woman pronounced dead at the scene of the accident by emergency responders, according to Kris Barbrich, an investigator with the Santa Clara County coroner's office.

A public memorial service was scheduled to be held Thursday, June 28, at Cusimano Family Colonial Mortuary, located at 96 W El Camino Real in Mountain View. The service will run from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., an official with the mortuary said.

The California Highway Patrol is still attempting to determine whether Alonso was the victim of a hit and run.

Shortly before 6:23 p.m. on Saturday, June 23, according to a CHP official, Alonso, who was driving north in the middle lane of Highway 85 near the Evelyn Avenue exit, lost control of her white Audi, swerved across the right hand lane of the freeway and ran into a tree located on an embankment between the road and a nearby off-ramp.

The driver's side door of the Audi hit the tree, according to CHP spokesman Arturo Montiel. A number of witnesses reported the accident, saying that a white Toyota Camry "changed lanes in close proximity" to the victim's car. Following the Camry's lane change, which some witnesses described as "reckless," the Audi went off the road. The woman was pronounced dead on the scene by emergency responders.

"At this point, we're not sure whether the vehicles came into contact," Montiel said. However, a witness to the accident did write down the Camry's license plate number, the CHP tracked down the driver and his car, and investigators are working to determine if the owner of the car -- a San Francisco man in his mid-50s -- should be charged with hit and run. The CHP has impounded the man's vehicle while they conduct the investigation.

None of the CHP's witnesses have said that the Camry definitely hit the Audi, Montiel said. Anyone else who witnessed the crash is asked to call CHP Officer La Pointe at (650) 369-6261, extension 370.

Comments

Posted by Otto Maddox
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Wow.. there's a knock on the door you don't want.

Basically the CHP needs this guy to confess. They're going to impound his car. Let the impound fees rack up until he has no chance of getting it back. Put the pressure on to get him to tell on himself.

I hope he's smart enough to hire an attorney. Not condoning wreckless driving but everyone deserves their day in court and to hear evidence presented against them and confront witnesses.

At least that's how it used to work.

Posted by Driver
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:07 pm

It's turning into a very deadly summer in Mountain View.

Posted by W-Park Dude
a resident of Waverly Park
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Otto,
You're brilliant but I would think if someone is going to admit to something like this that could send them to prison they would do it because it was the right thing to do. If they're not going to do the right thing I don't think impound fees are going to get him to "tell on himself." "Man I better get my car out of impound before they throw away the key!"
WPD

Posted by Sad MV resident
a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:34 am

She was a friend of mine and I hope everything is resolved... She truly was a beautiful person

Posted by ______
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:31 am

I still can't believe this.
She was hit by someone and they left her there...

Posted by Litsa
a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 26, 2012 at 7:52 am

I was in a similar situation going south on 85 a while back. Some a*****e in a black Mustang in the commuter lane decided the guy in front was going to slow.
I was in the next lane and there was a small gap between us, so he decided to gun it between both of us and lost control.
Luckily, he didn't hit any of the other 5-8 cars in our group, but ended up crashing on the embankment by the Fremont ave exit.
We got out to see if he was alright and he seemed fine. I wanted to yell at him, but my wife told me not to.
People need to slow down and stop driving like a*****es

Posted by Nick V
Mountain View Voice Staff Writer
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Nick V is a registered user.

Hi all. This is Nick, the reporter who wrote the above story. I am deeply sorry for the victim and anyone who knew her. It is truly a tragedy.

Anyone with any information they would care to share -- memories, info on memorial services, anything like that -- feel free to send me an email at nveronin@mv-voice.com.

Regards,
Nick Veronin
Staff Writer
Mountain View Voice

Posted by jupiterk
a resident of Gemello
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I would wait to comment till the investigation is complete. people making outlandish comments without knowing all the facts is not really good precedence in our society.

Posted by Eli
a resident of Shoreline West
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I send my condolences to the victim's family and friends. This could have happened to anybody.

That whole area that's undergoing construction going both ways on 85, north of the 280 merge through Evelyn is one big hazard right now. The new lanes lines are hard to see and several times over the past month I've had careless drivers almost veer into me because they're not paying close enough attention.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Waverly Park
on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Otto, what are you going on about? How does any of this affect him getting his fair day in court? He was there, witnesses thought he was being reckless, the police found him, and he will get heard. How is ANY of that wrong to him? They are still trying to determine if he should even be charged, and you are claiming he is getting pressured with impound fees? [Portion removed due to disrespectful comment]

Posted by Dawn
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

I commute to MV every weekday and have always wondered why there is no guard rail at that overpass on 85 North over the Evelyn street? For years I have been very scared at that part of the freeway.

I have also had near misses DAILY due to people not being able to recognize the lane changes due to construction. You think the publics safety would be a priority.

My deepest sympathies to this girl's family and friends. So sad.

Posted by jggonza
on Jun 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

I grew up with her and she was such a smart outgoing girl. She was the oldest of two kids and was so close to her family. I really hope drivers start realizing that being behind the wheel is a big responsability. I see a lot of people speeding on the freeway and it's sad to think that they don't care about their safety nor the safety of others. Everyone please be safe out there.

Posted by Passer-by
a resident of Jackson Park
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I drove by the scene around 8 pm that night. I could tell by the tire marks that a car had driven off the freeway. I also saw debris on the freeway which led me to believe a collision had occurred but the only vehicles in sight were the emergency and police vehicles on the freeway and the off-ramp. I'm sure with the evidence from the scene the police are carefully interviewing the driver of the Camry. Condolences to the family who have to wait through this process.

Posted by DG
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Jul 2, 2012 at 11:13 am

I think the poor condition of the highway under construction, the lack of visible lane markers and rough pavement may have been contributing factors. I am not trying to take blame away from that reckless driver but that highway leaves no room for escape when and if a bad driver comes along and threatens to run you down. I hope the repairs are completed on time and make this patch of road safer. It has been a hazard for years.