A resident of a Mountain View mobile home park died after a fire tore through the structure just after midnight on Dec. 2. No one else was injured.
The Mountain View Fire Department released few details about the blaze Monday. According to spokeswoman Jaime Garrett, investigators are currently working to determine the cause of the fire. The Santa Clara County Coroner's Office has yet to release the identity of the deceased victim.
The fire was first reported at 12:34 a.m. Monday morning at the Santiago Villa mobile home park, located at 1075 Space Park Way. Firefighters immediately got to work on extinguishing the fire and preventing its spread to neighboring units in the closely packed mobile home park, Garrett said in a press release.
Firefighters could not enter the home until the flames were completely extinguished because the structural integrity of the unit had been badly damaged, said Garrett. After the fire was out, emergency crews combed through the wreckage and found one resident had died.
While no cause of the fire has been determined yet, Garrett offered several warnings on how to avoid fires in the home. The combination of cold weather and the holiday season -- with Christmas trees, lights and more time spent cooking -- make for an increased likelihood of accidental fires.
Safety tips include: keeping flammable items away from heat sources, like the stove or fireplace; maintaining a "kid-free" zone around open fires and space heaters; never using an oven to heat the home; having heating equipment and fireplaces installed or maintained by qualified professionals annually; and never leaving a fire, oven, or hot stove unattended.
It is also important to regularly test smoke alarms, she said.
The Voice will update this story as more details become available.