Chloramine fight hits snag with EPA

Original post made on Sep 28, 2007

As promised, local activists determined to eliminate chloramine from the tap water were granted a meeting with federal Environmental Protection Agency representatives earlier this month to plead their case.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, September 20, 2007, 4:13 PM

Posted by Janet Dufresne, a resident of another community
on Sep 28, 2007 at 4:58 am

I wish to add my voice to the growing number who have experienced adverse health effects from Chittenden Water District's water supply. I live in South Burlington, Vermont, and 4 family members (one of whom is a baby) and two house guests have had and continue to have rashes and gastrointestinal distress since the addition of chloromine to our household water. Only use of alternate water from another town relieves our condition.

At present, we cannot shower at home and must carry in drinking and cooking water. Please, authoriites, remove chloramine from our water supply, or provide unaffected water to our home.

Janet Dufresne Bouchard
3 Delaware St.
So. Burlington, VT 05403
< tangobythelake@fastmail.fm >

Posted by Beth Nord, a resident of another community
on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:02 am

Thank you MV Voice for continuing to bring this issue to the public.

I am one of those more than 400 Bay Area residents who has a toxic reaction to chloramine. Neither my dermatologist nor my allergist was able to diagnose the problem and it was only after going off tap water completely that the eczema that tormented me for over a year disappeared.

Please, medical personnel, take a look at this issue. Check out www.chloramine.org for more information and consider suggesting to those who are affected that they try eliminating tap water. Many people are suffering--I'm sure it's more than 400--and they don't know why.

Beth Nord, Palo Alto
brnandsdl@earthlink.net

Posted by David, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jan 11, 2008 at 9:57 am

Now with winter, we're supposed to by plain water for the humidifier so we don't poison our family while we're sleeping. Thank you Voice for your consistent message about chloramine.

Posted by mark, a resident of Waverly Park
on Jan 18, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Until the goverment pulls it head out of its butt, I woud recomend a water distiller for the consumable use. Then buy a shower filter. I bought one and it removes about 99% of everthing.Jeremy@distilledh2o.com sold me a water distiller. It removes everything.

Posted by mark davis, a resident of Waverly Park
on Jan 18, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Posted by Lidia, a resident of North Whisman
on Jan 22, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Is there an online source that can show how tap water is treated in a given area (e.g. by a zip code or address, or city, or county, or anything else)? Can't find this information anywhere...

Posted by adrienne, a resident of another community
on Jan 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I am a South Burlington, VT resident who has come to the conclusion that chloramine in my tap water is the cause of the respiratory distress that I have been suffering from.

My symptoms began shortly after moving from Burlington to South Burlington, which resulted in a change in water companies. It took me over 2 years and MANY visits to an allergist to determine that the water is the problem, not asthma or an allergy to pets.

Like everyone else who has been negatively affected by this CHEMICAL in our drinking water, I can not fathom why the government would think it is okay to add this garbage to our water when it is "toxic to the environment" and no legitimate tests have been done to determine its effects on humans. Absolutely ridiculous.