Mervyn's - any news on a replacement?

Original post made by PA Resident, another community, on Dec 17, 2008

I am really going to miss Mervyn's. In fact, I am missing it already. There is really no alternative, good value for good quality, type store, particularly for boys. My boys will not try clothes on in Target because they have to walk through bras or other women's clothes to get to the changing rooms. We don't like the quality of WalMart and Sears has "nerdy" clothes, their view not mine.

Anyone know if there is any replacement store moving into the Mervyn's site?

Posted by Elizabeth
a resident of North Whisman
on Dec 20, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Web Link

Posted by MVShopper
a resident of Whisman Station
on Dec 21, 2008 at 2:52 pm

I think an Old Navy store would be a great replacement for the Mervyns location. They sell clothes for everyone (men, women, kids), which are trendy and affordable.

Posted by Kim
a resident of Jackson Park
on Dec 22, 2008 at 8:54 am

I heard Kohl's will be taking over some of the Mervyn's, but don't know about Mtn. View location.

Posted by Alex Turner
on Dec 24, 2008 at 9:40 am

I heard Home Depot is moving in....

Posted by Steve
on Dec 24, 2008 at 9:41 am

I heard that JC Penney is coming back....

Posted by Matt
a resident of The Crossings
on Dec 24, 2008 at 11:10 am

No, I think it is Woolworth's that is coming back.....

Posted by Samrt Growther
on Dec 24, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Kohls is the likely choice

Posted by neighbor
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Dec 24, 2008 at 9:34 pm

HOME DEPOT....NO...NO...NO! Hmmmm... JC PENNEY....Possibly. I have missed that store ever since they moved out of Sunnyvale Town Center.
I think that the best bet would be KOHL's. They have great merchandise and selection IMO for value and quality.

Posted by smart growther
on Dec 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm

The city council banned Home depot type stores at the san antonio shopping center

Posted by Nathan
on Dec 27, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Don't know what's coming in, but I'd love to see a nice, large bookstore.

Posted by Will
a resident of The Crossings
on Dec 29, 2008 at 9:10 am

I heard there bringing back The Hobby Shop or Menu Tree...

Posted by dang
a resident of Rex Manor
on Dec 30, 2008 at 3:43 pm

The headline scared me for a second, because I thought it referred to Mervyn's *Lounge* (aka "Cocktail Lounge / Lotto Sold Here").

Posted by Jason Balcon
on Dec 31, 2008 at 8:40 am

Mervyn's *Lounge* is a f'ing dump... place stinks of urine ... the city needs to shut that place down.. the under age drinking has been a prblem for years and the city turns a blind eye... all the young girls that sell themselves for sex and the gross old men that go in there disgusts me...

Posted by Nick
on Jan 6, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Hey Jason, slow your roll. Mervyn's most certainly is NOT a pee smelling dump. Underage girls selling themselves to men?!? I've never seen that at Mervyn's and I've been going there for years. My grandmother used to enjoy a drink there back in the day. I think it's cool that I can enjoy the same bar that she did. If you don't like it, just don't go.

Posted by Jason
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:12 am

Ya Nick as did my Grandfathers... but it is not 1976 any longer... the good ole boys from MV no longer frequent that place and it is not the Mervyns of old... and go there on a Friday or Sat. night after Midnight and you will see what I'm talking about.. all the thugs and punks that are just looking for a fight...The place is a dump...

Posted by Tim
a resident of Whisman Station
on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:53 am

Mervyns Lounge is still open?

Posted by Lisa
a resident of Shoreline West
on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I just hope that whatever store goes in there, that they make English a requirement for the sales people. I felt like I was in Tijuana every time I went into Mervyn's and actually stopped shopping there when the salesperson could not communicate with me in English!

Posted by Tim
a resident of Whisman Station
on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:52 am

Lisa,

There are two Mervyn's. The chain department store and the lounge. This article is talking about the lounge.

Tim

Posted by Don Frances
Mountain View Voice Editor
on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:43 am

Don Frances is a registered user.

Tim,

You're mistaken on a couple points: This isn't an article, it's a plea from a local resident asking for info on what store might replace Mervyn's. And her original question was regarding the retail store, not the lounge: "We don't like the quality of WalMart and Sears has "nerdy" clothes..."

One of the commenters thought she meant the lounge, which sparked a separate series of comments about it. But that's off the original topic.

Posted by Frances
on Jan 10, 2009 at 8:37 pm

I personally would love to see a Barnes and Noble or an Old Navy.

Posted by Ago
a resident of North Whisman
on Jan 11, 2009 at 2:26 pm

A Barnes and Noble or Old Navy would be great... Excellent suggestions!

Posted by Nick
on Jan 13, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Jason,

I go to Mervyn's on Friday and Saturday nights regularly. Maybe you saw me or some of my friends and pegged us as "thugs" or "punks" who are out "looking for a fight". Of course you'd be way off base, but it's pretty normal for a judgmental person to not realize their own misconceptions. By the way all of my friends are gainfully employed, so maybe if you change your mind we can buy you a drink and help you cool those nerves.

Posted by Melissa L.
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Jan 17, 2009 at 11:37 am

"Kohl's and Forever 21 said Friday they had jointly bid a bargain price of $6.25 million for the leases of 46 locations from Mervyns stores. Kohl's will open in 31 of those locations and Forever 21 will move into the rest, if the deal is approved in bankruptcy court."

-- Web Link

Forgive the weak, trite analogy in the headline and lead.

Posted by John M.
a resident of Whisman Station
on Apr 12, 2009 at 8:39 pm

I just drove by today and saw a sign saying Kohl's is going to be moving into the old Mervyn's location on California Street.

Posted by Any Member
a resident of Castro City
on Apr 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm

It's official. Kohl has put out a sign. They will move in the Mervyn space in September 09. Kohl carries approximately the same merchandises as Mervyn. Why do they think they could survive?