PACT ready to strike out on its own

Original post made on Feb 20, 2009

It will be bittersweet for the district's popular parent participation program when it says goodbye this spring to Castro Elementary School, where it has been located for the last three years.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, February 20, 2009, 12:00 AM

Posted by sunny, a resident of Whisman Station
on Feb 20, 2009 at 6:37 am

I didn;t know that PACT had so many hispanic students. Or that they actually HAD to move. I always heard that they were snobs. Maybe there not so bad after all. I don't know, though. Sounds like they are kind of different. Maybe there just wierd Or maybe not. Id sort of like to see there program but Im sure they don't just let you walk in. Any ideas about that?

Posted by Bonnie Malouf, a resident of North Whisman
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:11 am

Sunny - It's great that you are thinking of visiting PACT to find out for yourself what it's all about. PACT does, in fact, welcome visitors and we frequently have them. C Our official tours are over for the year, but check out the PACT website at Web Link and send an email through the "Contact" button or call Castro School to set up a time to visit. We'd be happy to show you around. Bonnie Malouf, PACT teacher

Posted by S., a resident of Castro City
on Feb 20, 2009 at 11:55 am

Bon Voyage, PACT!

Posted by Slater Mum, a resident of another community
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Ms. Malouf its sounds like your selling this program the pact not teaching.

Posted by Bonnie Malouf, a resident of North Whisman
on Feb 21, 2009 at 10:00 am

Believe me, Slater Mum, I do teach - a lot. The Voice reporter called me and asked me for an interview, so I gave her one. Also, my comment to sunny was simply an offer for clarification. We don't welcome visitors to persuade them - we wecome anyone who asks to see what we do .One of the greatest pleasures of my life is to get to know children and help them grow and learn about this big wonderful world of ours and about how they can fit into it and make it a better place. This pleasure is, of course, shared by all teachers.

Posted by Kender, a resident of another community
on Feb 21, 2009 at 11:19 am

Sunny is a fake.

Posted by Frances, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Feb 21, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Where does the 100 student figure come from? Is that the number of applicants for kindergarten for PACT for next year? Or the number of parents who went on tours?

Posted by Christine, a resident of another community
on Feb 23, 2009 at 11:36 am

We are from out of district and have applied to four parent-participation schools in different districts in the Bay Area for this coming year. I have to say that it seems that the Mountain View School District has far more "issues" relative to the others. I have already encounter so much bickering. Why is this? Frankly, it's got me worried that if we end up at PACT we will be dealing with this for the next decade. Why is there seemingly so little district support for a school whose program-type has been proven for many years and in many different districts to work so well relative to traditional public schools? The other three partent-participation schools we've applied to seem to have tremendous support from their respective districts. I'm not understanding why it appears to be different for PACT. Anyone?