Rising sea level gets city's attention

Original post made on Mar 30, 2009

The city of Mountain View's Planning Department is taking seriously a projected rise in the water level of the San Francisco Bay that could lead to periodic flooding of much of the Shoreline business district and Moffett Field by 2100.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, March 30, 2009, 10:57 AM

Posted by jps
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Any actuary, insurance agent, accountant, government official, or the like who persists in using the "100 year" and similar terms based on outdated data may be exposing themselves to potential liability. Web Link

Cathy Zoi forwards this from Repower America:

———- Forwarded message ———-
Meet Troy
From: Troy Galloway
Subject: Worst day of my life

The worst day of my life was when I got that pink slip. I expected to work in the steel mill until the day I retired, and then suddenly my job and my livelihood were gone.

Then in 2006 a wind turbine company opened two plants near my home in Hollsopple, Pennsylvania. Today, I build the blades for wind turbines that are powering parts of America with clean electricity.

A clean energy job saved my family and me, and many more in my community. But with the current economic mess, even some of my smartest and hardest-working friends here are still struggling — as I know millions of Americans are.

That's why I am asking you for help.

We need millions more green jobs — like the one that saved me — all across the nation. And those jobs will only be available if our leaders in Washington take bold steps.

Please sign the petition to our leaders here:

Web Link

Here's what the petition says:

"Congress must support bold national policies this year to transition to a clean energy economy and help solve the climate crisis. We urge you to cap carbon pollution to help create the jobs and businesses that will Repower America."

I'm hearing some talk on TV about how we can't afford to deal with the climate crisis and the economic crisis at the same time. Well, my experience shows we can't afford not to. The green jobs that reduce carbon pollution are this country's ticket out of a deep economic rut.

I hear that we lost half a million jobs last month. Imagine if those laid-off workers could turn in their pink slips for jobs in wind, solar, clean cars and green technology.

Well, our leaders in Washington have an opportunity to deliver green jobs like these to cities and towns all across America.

Send them a message today:

Web Link

Sincerely,

Troy

Posted by jps
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm

This internationalized YouTube video makes a similar point: Web Link

Posted by kanan krishnan
on Mar 30, 2009 at 2:55 pm

i know where this is going. i think the city should expect the businesses to fund any kind of work to prevent the rising sea levels flooding the community. it should not end up people paying to protect these business entities like google and microsoft. we have to stop the corporate welfare jsut because they are powerful and have too much money.

Posted by Van F
a resident of Waverly Park
on Mar 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm

This is total nonsense. Are any of you taking bets on the rising sea level or global warming?

Posted by James
on Mar 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Van, AIG was taking bets, but the White House Office of Science Policy's redacting made them lose. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, I hear their stock is a bargain.

Posted by Jeff
on Mar 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Van, I'd be happy to take your bet on sea level rise. A friend of mine is taking bets on global warming.

Web Link