MVHS in brief lockdown during manhunt

Original post made on May 12, 2009

Mountain View and Alta Vista high schools went into a five-minute "code red lockdown" Monday morning after a student attacked a police officer during a meeting at Alta Vista High and then fled to nearby Mountain View High, police and school administrators said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 1:10 PM

Posted by Liz
on May 12, 2009 at 2:17 pm

My kids go to MV and some of the teachers did not lock there doors. Some of the kids said that there teachers did not react and did not close the doors. If this kid had any weapon this would have been a real mess.

Posted by Diana
a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 12, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Sounds like they still need to run the May 19th lockdown drill then if all teachers didn't follow the correct procedure...

Posted by Billy Fong
on May 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm

you guys are totally losing it your and your scaredness. just because he pushed a officer and ran away he is a big threat. i beleav he ran because he was scared...and where i live that is daily life and i dont know why it should scare so many people its nonsense

Posted by parent
a resident of Whisman Station
on May 12, 2009 at 7:04 pm

It is very disrespectful to shove your mother out of the way and shove the police officer in front of her. He is BOLD and needs to be leashed.

Posted by answering
on May 12, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, he was scared, and like a scared dog, you never know what to expect. I'm glad they locked down. My daughter goes to that school! If that kid was angry enough to shove his mother AND a cop, who is to say he wouldn't have hurt someone else?

Posted by A Releived Citizen
on May 13, 2009 at 1:24 am

I am honestly just glad that this "code red lockdown" occurred during class time, and not during brunch or lunch, because then kids would have really gotten violent no joke!!!

Posted by student
on May 13, 2009 at 1:26 am

I am tha kid in tha OP. I feel no remorse.

Posted by Concerned Citizen of the World
a resident of Waverly Park
on May 13, 2009 at 9:17 am

Ask yourself....What do I want for my future life? Do I want to be on the outside looking in? OR Do you want to be a happy healthy individual living as part of a successful growing community?
Take the advise of the people who care about you and get help.

Posted by Alta Vista Student
on May 13, 2009 at 9:31 am

I currently attend alta vista and the way you constructed this story makes it sound like he was some crazy murderer. The student in question was not a violent person. He didnt resist at first at all not until him mom came and started yelling at him. Thats when he pushed the officer out of the way and ran. He wasn't caught in some crazy tackle... it he was simpled talked out of running anymore by our principle.

Posted by Concerned
on May 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I hope that parents are calling the administrators and strongly encouraging them to educate their teachers on the code red procedures. I wouldn't call it successful if they have teachers that don't know what to do.

Posted by Parent of a student at MVHS
a resident of Sylvan Park
on May 14, 2009 at 4:20 pm

The young man involved in this incident is a good kid, I have known him for years. I am truly sadden to see the events that have happened, but he needs emotional support and guidance in resolving some issues relating to his family life and I hope that he receives it.

As a PARENT of a STUDENT at MVHS, I am glad that the outcome of this incident was resolved wihtout violence, however, I really don't think it would have escalated to the point of violence. I really see this as a cry for help and I hope he gets it.

Posted by eric
on May 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I think that those upset over how this was handled need to keep something in mind-- this isnt about the kid involved-- its about consistant safety protocols for the campus. Its not about THIS incident, but about a generic occurance.

If there is a 'real' threat to the student body, nobody wants administrators to spend time analyzing a specific kid or situation. Kid flees cop=Code Red. It should be an automatic, no-brainer. Better to error with an excess knee-jerk reaction than to regret inaction later, particularly when the downside of over-reaction is pretty minimal