Three-alarm fire destroys Gladys Ave. homes

Original post made on Jun 9, 2009

A three-alarm fire Tuesday morning on the first block of Gladys Avenue destroyed two units of a fourplex and at least one vehicle, fire officials said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 1:11 PM

Posted by Jes' Sayin', a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Heard nine sirens all told... was every last one necessary?

Posted by Bruno, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Yeah, I hate it when my neighbors house burns down and there's all these sirens. I'm trying to sleep over here!

Posted by chuck, a resident of another community
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Jes'Sayin', did you used to live in Palo Alto? You sure sound like a Palo Alto resident with a complaint like that.... 3 alarms and you expect just the first responding unit to use their siren?? Just turn the TV up next time.

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 9, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Bruno & Jes'Saying' -- get a life! You guys have too much time on your hands to be complaining about trivial stuff. Maybe you should be doing something more constructive than counting how many sirens or go turn up your ipods or thought of getting earplugs?

We are residents of that whole complex and were trying to help extinguish it before the firefighters got there. Maybe you'll appreciate the Fire PD, etc... more when it happens to your house!!

Posted by Nicky S, a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 9, 2009 at 9:32 pm

As a former resident of that complex, and someone who is a friend of the owner of 55 Gladys, my heart goes out to him and his neighbors. I am very relieved that no one was injured, and want to say thanks to those neighbors who were trying to fight the fire, and to the fire department. It is a lovely complex and I hope that the units can be repaired quickly.

Posted by Mr. Nice, a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 10, 2009 at 6:46 am

M V fire Dep. did an EXCELLENT JOB of quickly putting out fire and mopping up afterwards. I can't believe that people have the nerve to bitch about the sirens. I feel very secure and protected living in my home town of Mountain View...........

Posted by Ms., a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 10, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Ditto & THANK YOU Mr. Nice for your candor of what I was really thinking of those whiners!

We are very fortunate that we live quite near the Mtn. View Fire Dept. Their and other Fire Depts' actions were not only professional, but EXEMPLARY!! Hats off to them. I just wish I thought to give them more than the bag of Costco chips we had.

Posted by Bruno, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jun 10, 2009 at 4:03 pm

The problem with a text comment is that it's sometimes harder to read into sarcasm.

Posted by Ms., a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Well if you already know that then why even post it at all? Or you can ** it with ;-) or j/k. You seem like you're text savvy... although maybe I'm giving you too much credit!

Posted by eric, a resident of another community
on Jun 10, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Odd that you give someone that seems to completely agree with you such unwarranted flak, Ms.

Posted by THE BEAST OF THE EAST, a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm

As a child I think it is HILARIOUS that adults are even talking about this.

I live in the complex and I feel horrible that this happened AND this is coming from a 12-year old... So you guys need to grow up, step up to the plate, and act like respectable citizens of the Mountain View community!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Mr Nice, a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:51 pm

What kind of IDIOT complains about sirens that are comming to the aid of their neighboorhood, I'll tell you a DAMN FOOL. You know who you are FOOL.