Latest study says TCE worse than thought

Original post made on Jan 29, 2010

The EPA has released a new report concluding that TCE — trichloroethylene, a pollutant found in much of Mountain View's groundwater — is definitely a carcinogen, a finding which could lead the agency to propose tougher cleanup standards.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, January 29, 2010, 11:57 AM

Posted by Steve Schramm
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Interesting that the hetch hetchy aqueduct goes right through the area with TCE vapors. The article says the vapors can rise from 25 feet below ground to pollute the air. Is the aqueduct sealed? Is there a chance of contamination of our drinking water?

Posted by DSoldIt
on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I am hopeful that the city will take this study very seriously and reflect on how that last study affected housing prices in the Whisman Station neighborhood.

Posted by James
a resident of Whisman Station
on Jan 29, 2010 at 8:33 pm

From past sampling by the EPA the air around here (Whisman) is mostly below 0.17 microgram per cubic meter. I believe they did some more remediation since those measurments by pumping oxidizer into the ground water.

Posted by Jane B
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:16 am

I cannot beleive anyone would want to live on toxic waste site? We should all pitch in and have all the Whisman Station residents move to India. Now!

Posted by Mary Blakely
on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:49 am

My name is Mary Blakely and I am the daughter of a retired Vietnam Veteran. While I was growing up ,my family was stationed on Bases all around the world.The only place we ever lived more than once was in North Carolina on a Marine Corps Base called Camp Lejeune. In September of 2009 I learned from a CNN news story about a cluster of Male Breast cancer survivors that only had living on Camp Lejeune and the drinking water in common. At the time of the story there were only around 20 of them now there are 55 males involved that are known of. While the men were speaking about the the neighborhoods that were involved, they mentioned Berkley Manor. My family had lived on that part of the base in 1967-1969 when I was around 3 1/2 years old and we were stationed there again in 1976 when I was 13. My father retired in 1978 and still lives in a house that my mom and he bought just outside the front gates in Jacksonville N.C.,so even after retiring we were constantly on that Base. I started trying to find information about Camp Lejeune and contaminated water.Since then I have learned that the ground water that was the source for the drinking water for the base was contaminated with over 70 toxic chemicals from 1957-1987.One of the most prevalent toxins was TCE.In 1996 my Mother died of one of the signature cancers that TCE can cause. The rest of my family suffers from numerous ailments that I believe are a direct result of the chemicals that we drank,bathed in,cooked with,and breathed.The DOD and the Navel Department have done and continue to do all they can to keep this tragedy from the victims of it and the from the American people.I am a member of a group called The Few The Proud The Forgotten that have been fighting for years to get to the truth of this matter and to inform all the Veterans and their families that were poisoned.Many Men,women,and children have already died from their exposure to the toxic soup,one of which is a little girl named "Janey Ensminger".Congressman Brad Miller introduced a Act on Feb.2,2010 called,"The Janey Ensminger Act", that if passed might give the Vets and their affected family's some much needed medical help. Please help us by contacting your House Representatives at www.house.gov and ask them to support this Bill. Senator Richard Burr and Sen.Kay Hagen of N.C. had a bill(S-1518) in the Veterans Affairs Committee that was tabled on 1/28/2010 by Committee Chairman Akaka, he replaced it with his own piece of crap bill that will place all of the surviving victims health care back in the hands of The Department of Defense,the very people who knowingly allowed the toxic water to be used and have spent well over 20 years covering it up.The ATSDR has been ordered by congress to do a health and mortality study,but the DOD has refused to fund it and are slowing any actions from proceeding.They are hoping that all or most of the victims will die or get so sick that they will shut up.I refuse to do so and I am hoping that You our fellow TCE victims from Mountain View will help our cause and tell your local and national News Sources of our plight!I will tell people I know of yours and maybe both of our wounded can help each other.God Bless and Semper FI!Mary Blakely