Mountain View's (PAL) Mailers Anyone??

Original post made by MV Ranter, Blossom Valley, on Apr 11, 2010

Any Mountain View resident get any mailers?

First time I've ever received their mailers asking for funds and I don't recall registering or filling forms to be included in their mailing list.

Latest MV Police contact are a traffic infractions and a rolling right turn on a redlight.

After I've paid close to $400 in fines they're coming back to ask me for donations.

Driving around Mountain View you'll see that it seems they're out to make money. There's no warnings just write a ticket and make money for the City. Unlike neighboring Palo Alto Police who will check your paperwork and sometimes give you a warning. A MV officer who makes $75 and hour has time to stop and write a $25 ticket.

"PAL fosters bonds of mutual trust and understanding between police officers and young people by interacting in non-confrontational settings". PAL should let some of the Officers know that some parents and adults who live in Mountain View have influence on the youths. Their money making attitude will not help.

-MV Ranter

Posted by GSB
a resident of Shoreline West
on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I'm sure its legit. Many community leaders received it in the mail as well (red envelopes).

Also, PAL is separate from the City, even though the City has in the past made a donation to the program. It is a stand alone nonprofit.

Posted by mjdelaere
on Apr 12, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Mine wasn't in a red envelope. Is mine legit????

Posted by Ronnie Falcao
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Yes, I got THREE mailers! I support them, but I don't support this obvious waste.

Posted by PAL Supporter
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Apr 13, 2010 at 11:10 am

Dear MV Ranter,

Please do not roll through red lights anymore, next time stop at the red light and think how good it would feel to give to PAL.

Posted by Albert Ming
on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I also have noticed a big difference in attitude between Mountain View police versus Palo Alto or Menlo Park.
MV police will ticket for everything, even a missing front license plate on a parked car whereas the PA and MP police departments focus on serious crimes, putting the emphasis on being of service to the local residents.
I don't know if it's an individual officer training problem or if these are really the priorities put forward by the city of MV

Posted by Carol Westlie
a resident of Monta Loma
on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

When my husband (64 years old now) was a preteen, he joined the PAL program. He learned to drum and participate in a local Drum and Bugle Corps. His Mom drove the kids to various competitions. He became a policeman because of the kind influence of one of the instructors in this program. So when the flier arrived, I was grateful to see that it was a program still around.

Posted by USA
on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm

USA is a registered user.

A few months ago, I was driving home from my office on Old Middlefield late at night when my rear view mirror lit up with flashing lights. I pulled over, turned on my dome light, pulled out my registration and insurance cards, and put my hand on top of the steering wheel. The officer said that I had rolled through a stop sign. I was sober but tired, so I probably did roll it. As the officer asked me several questions, it became apparent that he was not concerned about the traffic infraction but was wondering what I was doing in the industrial area late at night. Once he was satisfied that I was there for work and not stealing, he sent me off with a warning.

In the last few years, there have been a couple of problems in the area. Both problems ended with the MVPD taking down the bad guys in the act. I feel grateful that the MVPD has my back.

MV Ranter - Sorry your life sucks. Maybe if you stop breaking the law and ranting about the MVPD, your life will improve.