A mother's plea: No peanuts for squirrels

Original post made on Apr 16, 2010

In Mountain View, squirrels eating human food led to attacks on children in Cuesta Park four years ago. Today in Palo Alto, a different concern has some people asking neighbors to please quit feeding the squirrels.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, April 16, 2010, 1:06 PM

Posted by Population Adjuster
on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

but peanuts do make good bait for trapping these rodents.
Remember, its not illegal to trap/kill them in your yard, but it is illegal to transport/relocate any wild animal, including squirrels.

Posted by Awe Nuts!
a resident of Castro City
on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Nuts!

Posted by Pam
on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Unfortunately the child will run into more peanuts in everyday life than any squirrel could possibly introduce. This is NUTS!!

Posted by Rockie J.
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Everyone, please train your kids not to eat off the ground.

Posted by not trying to be a jerky
a resident of North Whisman
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm

this is crazy, i agree with all these comments.

"Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts in our back yard!"
Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts in in the candy isle at lucky
Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts in my poop!
Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts in a friends backpack
Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts were in peanut butter
Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts in snickers
Imagine my dismay when I discovered peanuts were one of americas favorite snack foods....

who would of thought !

Posted by Jeff
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm

not trying to be a jerky - so then what is the point of your smart-aleck litany? Discovering peanuts where you would not expect them is the problem, not avoiding them where we all know they are going to be.

Imagine my dismay when I discovered a neighbor is ...

Posted by Big Al
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Nuts for sure. It's the parent's responsibility to keep their child away from peanuts or eating them off the ground. Not anyone else's.

Posted by Res
on Apr 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Wow, just read the comments on this article on the Palo Alto forum. Those folks are waaay more sympathetic. Then again, it's very Palo-Altoy to make tons of rules attempting to regulate every possible aspect of life. This is an issue between neighbors, and an issue about parenting too. Why does the whole world have to lock up their peanuts? What's next? No koi ponds because some animal may drag a dead fish into the yard of someone with a seafood allergy?

Posted by Allergy Mom
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Apr 17, 2010 at 6:17 am

I don't believe that anyone is asking you to rid the world of peanuts. However, it seems to be a very small request for people to not feed wildlife peanuts in their yards which may then end up in the yard of someone with a life threatening allergy. It is time consuming, but possible to rid your house of peanuts and to steer clear of them at restaurants, schools, etc. But, if your neighbors can't switch from peanuts to sunflower seeds in their wildlife feeders, then you don't have much hope of keeping them out of your yard. What ever happened to being neighborly?

Posted by sean
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Apr 17, 2010 at 10:42 am

@ Res, I think the Palo Alto forum is just moderated down and only the comments they feel acceptable are left for us to see.

@Allergy Mom, I would bet $1,000 that "this mom" is just as afraid of sunflower seeds as she is of peanuts.

it is utimitley up to her and her son on how they handle this, not up to the community. wtf kind of logic is that? there are fast food chains on every corner, can the city please rid mountain view of these so i dont become obese....please dont bbq in your yard cause i may get an urge.

Posted by Justin
a resident of Rex Manor
on Apr 17, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Lets keep in mind that there is wildlife here as well. Its a proven fact that squirrels love peanuts and don't like sunflower seeds. We should take them into consideration as well in this story. As for me the peanuts in my house have now been put in a level 3 security storage to prevent any accidents from happening. Please stay alert all security breaches will be reported on the voice.

Posted by Sammy the Squirrel
on Apr 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I admit I am addicted to peanuts. Some of my friends have also stolen treats from children right out of their hands at Cuesta Park.

The current scare is all about other nut producers trying to scare the public from eating peanuts. They want to get the public to eat other types of nuts.

Posted by Amazed
a resident of Waverly Park
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm

You people are incredibly immature. You may disagree with that mother's request, but I am astounded that you all have to react like 8-year-olds.

Posted by DCS
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails, they carry diseases such as rabies and the plague. Why would anyone want to feed them or want them around? Parents should teach their children to stay far far away from these disease carrying rodents.

Posted by eric
on Apr 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I'm sorry, but there are actually people on this forum criticizing a mother for asking her neighbors to make a miniscule change to their daily life that might prevent her small child from DYING?

The fact that feeding snacks to wild animals is just plain dumb is beside the point. What sane human being wouldnt do a neighbor such a small courtesy? If you place a higher value on watching a cute rodent eat a snack in your backyard then you do on the well-being of a two year old child, I dont know how you can function in civilized society.

Posted by HM
a resident of Rex Manor
on Apr 19, 2010 at 7:42 am

Same thing where we live.
People - these things are just daytime rats. Aside from being a mess they are wonderful disease vectors. If you love 'em so much, let them live in your attic.
And I'm sure you secure all the food sources in your backyard at night so as not to attract the raccoons and opossums .