Unsettled divorce led to murder-suicide, friends say

Original post made on May 18, 2010

The man believed to have shot his ex-wife before shooting himself Friday wanted to resume living with his ex-wife -- or be paid for his share of the home and dry cleaning business they had once owned together, friends and co-workers said Monday, May 17.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 11:55 AM

Posted by blip, a resident of Cuesta Park
on May 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Life is really tough and too many of us have problems. I really feel for both families and am so saddened that their lives ended this way. Both of them were so nice & always treated their customers with respect. It's really sad and scary to see what money does to us and see how our lives can just fall apart from it. Mountain View will never be the same w/o these two kind people. Even though it was definitely not the right way to go, I am glad they are no longer suffering. I hope that the families heal and grow from this difficult ordeal.

Posted by unknownguy, a resident of Sylvan Park
on May 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

See, women have the revenge mentality and drive men to their worst depths of fear,depression and anger. He felt he worked so hard for so many years and then he he lost everything because the system sides on the women side when it comes to mediation and that is grossly unfair. At the age of 70 he decided that he just decided to end it instead of losing out.
I don't justify any of this but this is what men have to go thru in most divorces and women are unfairly getting the most reward unfairly and undeservedly of men's hardwork. The system makes hardworking and smart men into total losers.

To all men: If you are married, you are better of not having any savings or any material wealth. Women will always find ways to steal it 100%.

Posted by blip, a resident of Cuesta Park
on May 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am a woman, but I completely agree with "unknownguy". Women really do benefit from the system and can literally get away with murder. While, most men cannot and they end up suffering no matter what.. even if the woman is the abuser. Unfortunately, the system does not treat men well and they are all seen as "dead-beats" when they walk into a courtroom. It's also really sad that women take advantage of the system.

Again, I am really sad that everything ended the way it did.. but people have problems and it is really hard to deal with them sometimes. Of course, there is no justification in murder/suicide, but when people are hurting, they do crazy things.

Posted by Sad, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 18, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Truly Sad and not at all a necessary. The courts and the lawyers(officers of the court) follow case law and make divorce a billion dollar industry. It is wonder why more lawyers and judges do not meet the same fate as the ugly outcome caused by this process of justice. The fact is no one cares other then stating pay your lawyer. This is one reason most of the population have mistrust in the police and the courts. Such as it is California is one of the Better states for "fair" divorce and is at the very least trying to make it better.

Posted by Shecky, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 18, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Poor guy snapped. She was trying to take him to the cleaners.

Posted by jus/me, a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Have to agree w/ some of the comments made here re:
conributory nasty stuff which probably led to this double
tragedy. And to wonder if ruthless, money-grubbing lawyers
were wringing their paws as they "represented" their
respective clients. What a terrible, tragic waste.
Bless their souls.

Posted by a neighbor, a resident of Shoreline West
on May 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

so so sad...i did not like the woman

Posted by loyal customer, a resident of another community
on May 19, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I have been a loyal customer of Vogue Cleaners for over 16 years. I am deeply shocked and saddened over the tragic loss of both Cho and Ku. They have always been very kind and professional toward me. It's amazing that you can see people often and never know what is festering underneath. I only pray that their families will come together, do the right thing, and not allow the hurt and bitterness to continue. This is the only thing that will truly honor the memories of these two people. I will miss them terribly.

Posted by John the Man, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

@loyal customer: this is a good example that unless you live with someone, you truly know nothing about them. What you see in public with people is never how they are in private. That isn't to say people are actually evil in private because most people are not.

What it is to say is that people are extremely complicated and people are guarded about what they allow other people to see. So what you see in public is never the total of what people are actually like and it's always a biased presentation anyway.

That's why I'm never surprised when someone says of a person like the shooter here, 'Gosh, he seemed so nice.' Most people are, it's not a good ruler of someone's actual personality.

Here was a guy who was certainly very very nice in public and to the public, but still who bought a gun, got angry enough to load that gun, then to take that gun out and shoot someone else with it. That act spoke a LOT about his personality, at least as much as being a nice guy in public.

Posted by old friend, a resident of another community
on May 24, 2010 at 12:28 am

I have known Joe for over 21 yrs. He was Vougue Cleaners!!!!! I believe that I know him better than alot of people and definitely more than anyone who has posted a comment thus far. I do know that Greed can be a huge determinator as to why a person could be pushed over the edge to do what Joe has possibly done.

Joe, you will be missed by everyone and I will miss you old friend. Thanks for the all of the conversations and good times that we shared. Thank you also for being you and for going the extra mile to clean my ink stained shirts, replace my wife pants after an employee ruined them and also to clean many people wedding (vintage and post wedding) dresses that no one would ever dare to touch.

We love you and will miss you!
Reggie & Amanda

Posted by Army Friend, a resident of another community
on May 14, 2012 at 8:13 pm

This may be two years after the fact, but I met Joe in Korea while stationed at Camp Walker 74-76. Decades later, in 2005 I ran into him at 7/11 across the street from his dry cleaners store! He told me he came to America in 1978 and I already knew he was a workaholic having saved up money to come here and start a business. I was dismayed to learn of his and his ex's demise and pray that God will forgive any wrongdoings and that they will both reside in heaven for all eternity.