Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jun 16, 2010
I'm surprised by the actions of the Fire Fighters, especially considering they have the best city jobs and benefits:
• They have great pensions, 3% at age 50 or retire at 90% of their last year's salary if they have worked 30 years.
• Forty Eight hour shifts, which means they are only here in the City of Mountain View four to five times a month.
• They have breakfast when they arrive for work at 8:00 or 8:30 am, providing there is no emergency at the time.
• They shop during work hours note the brand new fire engines at Safeway.
• Their exposure to carcinogens and toxic chemicals is greatly diminished from days past as they are mainly paramedics at this point.
• All training is paid for by the City, including overtime pay for others to backfill positions when applicable.
• They do not employ the same physical requirements for entrance as in days past.
We should expand CERT and go back to a part vocational and part volunteer Fire Department as it's gotten out of hand.
Have you ever seen a volunteer fire department? They are not nearly as trained as one is needed for a the job. You pay these men and women for the worst case incidents and hope they never come. If we have a major disaster, hugh fire, or a major chemical spill or release you want well trained and well paid fire fighters. Your points about hours and days are noted but those that put in these jobs scrafice a lot that you take for granted mostly time away from family, missed holidays, missed birthdays, and too many others that the eight to five people get. As for your 3% at fifty. Yes that is nice if you work 30 plus. Due to the demands, skill levels, and having good life experience to even get in to this profession...average starting age is in their thirties (Do the math). The cities always love to say that this type of compensation is causing the problem and they have to budget for it. In reality...they save so much because they rarely pay that. - Just some thoughts from a proud father of a fire fighter (Thankfully not here where their treatment as though they are expendable).
It would be alright with me if they axed the moron cop that gives out tickets to people who let their dogs get fresh air off leash. Maybe he should spend his time catching thugs in the parking garage
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Bailey Park
- Blossom Valley
- Castro City
- Cuesta Park
- Jackson Park
- Monta Loma
- North Bayshore
- North Whisman
- Old Mountain View
- Rengstorff Park
- Rex Manor
- Shoreline West
- St. Francis Acres
- Stierlin Estates
- Sylvan Park
- The Crossings
- Waverly Park
- Whisman Station
- another community
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Standardized Test Prep: When to Start and Whom to Hire?
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,344 views
Finger Food and a Blood Lite?
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 991 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Mountain View
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Palo Alto Online
© 2014 Mountain View Online
All rights reserved.