Panel OKs $10 million for Hangar One

Original post made on Jul 30, 2010

Congresswoman Anna Eshoo had promising news Tuesday about funding to help restore Moffett Field's massive landmark, Hangar One.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, July 30, 2010, 2:03 PM

Posted by Jacko
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on Jul 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Keep working on getting an air and space museum in there. That can fund the rest of it. And saving the hangar just to leave it empty and off-limits to people is kind of pointless.

Posted by Doug Pearson
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jul 30, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I also would like to see and air and space museum in Hanger One. And, I willing to contribute my bit to fund it. But the Smithsonian is not kidding when it says we, not they, will have to fund it and that does not mean the city or county, it means all of us will need to VOLUNTEER to pay for it.

Posted by John the Man
on Jul 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm

$40 million to resurface the hanger. No, of course I can't think of any better use for that huge amount of money. Not one thing.

Posted by Mr. Big
on Jul 31, 2010 at 2:01 am

Someone needs to whisper in Steve Jobs ear and have him fund the "Apple Hanger One" project.

Think about it... It's the biggest icon in the Bay Area South of SF.

Google Hanger One sounds cool too..

Posted by Ken Lindsay
on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:19 am

Hey! How about the name "iHangerOne" ??

Posted by ken Lindsay
on Jul 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I sent an email to a friend and he liked this comment better than my previous one, so I thought I would post this one too.

Since they used in the latest Star Trek we know it MUST be preserved until at least the 23rd century right?

Posted by Jim
a resident of Whisman Station
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Can someone explain to me the value of this Hanger? Why spend a nickel on an obsolete structure with the "hope" of getting an investor or group to put up money and create an "air/space museum" west? In terms of a landmark, we're not talking Coit Tower or the Golden Gate Bridge here, are we? I drive by it every day and see an oversized, useless structure left over from the 1930s. Don't we have better places to allocate $10 million?

Posted by Doug Pearson
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Aug 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Like Jim, I and hundreds of thousands of others also see Hanger One every day. But I see an immense icon of the Nation's history, and would like to see it preserved. Certainly, it would be better for it to be preserved and used than to be preserved and empty. An air and space museum housed in Hanger One is not the only potential use, but I think it's a good one.

Posted by BD
a resident of North Whisman
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

Can I convert it to a commercial grow operation?

Posted by Koa
on Aug 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

How many families taxes went to that 10 million dollars? 500?

Posted by spacecase
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I'd like to commend our congressional rep. for putting this through the NORMAL congressional subcommittee approval process (it is vetted and debated with other uses of funds). This open process is a much better way to appropriate $ than EARMARKS (which show up with no prior public input as the secret deals of Senate-House conference committee 'dealers').

Opinions (letters) to the rest of the Senate Appropriations Comm. are now appropriate.