Moffett Field trail will connect MV, Sunnyvale

Original post made on Sep 14, 2010

Efforts to link 26 miles of Bay Area trails north and south of Mountain View will finally be realized this month, when a 2.4-mile path running behind Moffett Field opens to the public.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 10:18 AM

Posted by Hooray
a resident of Gemello
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:57 am

It took a long time but it'll be great to have it finally open.

Posted by Ross
a resident of Waverly Park
on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm

This is SOOOO awesome!
I live in Mountain View and used to work in Moffett Park near Lockheed and dreamed of this day. I don't work over there anymore, but I will still be enjoying the freedom to turn east when I reach the bay after biking down lovely Stevens Creek Trail.

I hope this won't be the end of the story. Initially, the trail will be as it is in Sunnyvale - a gravel-dirt trail atop the levy. That puts a crimp on many riders - 2.4 miles is a long way with skinny tires on that type of trail.

Also, if you are trying to take the Bay Trail passing through Mountain View on the way to Sunnyvale, there is over a 0.35 mile diversion to get to a bridge across Stevens Creek - 0.7 mile round trip. A new bridge would be very welcome.

But let me reiterate how wonderful this trail opening will be. I plan to go out to celebrate next Monday!

Posted by Shaquanda
a resident of Monta Loma
on Sep 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

While they are at it. Why not open the Moffett golf course to the public!

Posted by Mr. DePortum
on Sep 19, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Access should be limited to old time residents of MV and S'vale only!!!

Posted by Richard
on Sep 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I was at the opening ceremony today and got to ride the new trail segment. I live in Palo Alto and travel to San Jose regularly, and normally have to make a big detour inland. This will save me about 20 minutes each trip, although the trail is quite rough and dusty. It might get slippery in the winter, although I have been on paths in the Palo Alto Baylands that are quite usable (with wide tires) all year. I hope that this trail gets enough use that it is eventually paved.

Posted by gisele
a resident of Monta Loma
on Sep 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

oh com'on, they could have found 0.2 and do the Shoreline Marathon!
jk jk this is awesome!