Moffett Field segment of Bay Trail opens today

Original post made on Sep 20, 2010

The newest segment of the San Francisco Bay Trail -- which stretches 2.4 miles behind Moffett Field and connects Mountain View and Sunnyvale -- opens to the public today.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, September 20, 2010, 12:38 PM

Posted by Rich
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Sep 20, 2010 at 2:56 pm

This article about a trail could *really* use a map!!!

Posted by Karl
on Sep 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Finally

Posted by GRR
on Sep 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Maps here: Web Link

Posted by BD
a resident of North Whisman
on Sep 21, 2010 at 12:59 am

Duck Hunting season is coming soon and the "trail" goes around and through this hunting area. Don't be alarmed at the sight of camouflage hunters carrying shotguns! They are just there for the ducks and remember that it is against the law to harass hunters while engaging in their sport.

Posted by Responsible
on Sep 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I hope the steady barrage of hikers and bikers won't affect the hunting, but even if it does, remember hunters, its illegal to fire "warning shots" at hikers/bikers in the area, even if you think they might adversely affect your hunt.
(And yes, this HAS happened to me out there at the mouth of the creek)

Posted by Martin Omander
a resident of Rex Manor
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:16 am

Can't wait to try out the new trail!

Posted by southbayrider
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I parked at the kite area in Shoreline and then rode my bike in to access the trail. There is a gate at the entrance which is well marked. The gate which was usually locked was open. I followed the path in which led me along the back side of Moffett Field on my right and the bay on my left. I had a great view of the mountains straight ahead. I started my ride after lunch (2PM). It was very windy. I rode all the way around the back side of Moffett and past the golf course there. Just at that point, the trail narrows for a bit and then continues on the Sunnyvale near the dump (borregas and Carribbean). I got off the trail behind Yahoo on Mathilda and then rode back to Shoreline to my car. The whole trip took about 2 1/2 hrs. I would recommend that you ride in the morning when it is calm out so that you don't have to ride against the wind. Also, this time of the year, there is quite a bit of algae on the water. Doesn't look so pretty and sometimes smells. There's alot of wildlife there. I saw Pelicans and Canadian Geese. Happy riding!