Green light for Segways on trails

Original post made on Dec 14, 2010

After being told that Segways caused no accidents on the Stevens Creek Trail during a two-year trial period, the City Council voted unanimously to allow their use on Tuesday.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 1:32 PM

Posted by OnYourLeft, a resident of Castro City
on Dec 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Seems reasonable. The top speed is ~ 12.5 so they're slower than the max speed limit and slower than a relatively fit bile rider. I think I'd rather deal with a segway on the trail than a motorized 4 wheeled seniors scooter, and I know those are allowed.

Posted by 2 way path, a resident of Shoreline West
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Just remember that the path is 2 lanes with limited visibility in some corners. Please stay in your lane so you don't cause a problem for on-coming traffic.

Posted by eric, a resident of another community
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I'll trade clueless rollerbladers that take up both lanes for the 5 people on the planet dumb enough to buy a segway.

Posted by MtnViewe, a resident of North Whisman
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm

My first instinct is that this is a bad idea. However, upon further consideration, the safety of any of vehicle allowed on the trail has more to do with the common sense and courtesy of the operator than with the mode of transportation. Let's hope that Segway operators have more common sense and courtesy than SOME of the bicyclists I have encountered on the trail. While perhaps not a majority, there are a significant number of bicyclists that bevave as though they own the trail and that walkers and runners are just in the way.

Posted by Don Kensil, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I've been biking on the SC trail for about 12 years and have watched the bike traffic increase with many near-misses experienced or watched. Personally, I would never walk on that trail given the often dangerous biking habits of most other users. To alllow Segways shows once again that our elected officials, none of whom I have ever seen on the SC trail by the way, are again acting with either poor advice or a faulty sense of "we know best."

Posted by Randy, a resident of Whisman Station
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I've used this trail for years and now I'm finished with it. With the countless inconsiderate and arrogant bikers on the trail I've deemed it too unsafe. The Rangers do nothing to slow these bikers down.

Posted by Old Man of the Trail, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hmm, I walk this trail nearly every morning and have found nearly all of the people riding bikes to be as decently behaved as any other group. Some go by without announcing themselves but the majority will, esp. when its evident that its needed. Perhaps there's a different crowd in the afternoon, I use the trail in the early morning, but I consider some of the regular bikers I see each day to be part of my "Trail friends" just like the lady with the pug or the joggers.
In my opinion, the biggest threat to safety on the trail are the "deaf" people with stereo headsets in their ears, but I guess we all have a gripe about "the other guy"
I like the mix of activities you can see along the trail, even those wide striding roller bladers and those zippy bike