Two-alarm fire damages Dittmer's

Original post made on Jan 23, 2011

A two-alarm blaze significantly damaged a butcher shop and shut
down a neighboring sushi restaurant in Mountain View early this afternoon, a fire spokeswoman said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, January 23, 2011, 7:34 PM

Posted by Nooooo!!!!, a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jan 23, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Smoked Meats! Get 'yer smoked meats here!

Dittmer's is a treasure... hoping for a rapid reopening, say.... before the SuperBowl :)

Posted by Tyrone, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Dear God, NOOOOOO!!!!
Where will I get my Bratwurst, Weisswurst, bacon, smoked meats,...

Only quickly, Mr. Dittmer.

Posted by Tyrone, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm

correction: I meant to say "OPEN quickly".

Posted by the_punnisher, a resident of Whisman Station
on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Cheer up people, the WURST is yet to come....;-)...

Posted by mrpc, a resident of Castro City
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:36 am

maybe a bigger store in the future? Glad No one was injured!!!!

Posted by USA, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jan 24, 2011 at 9:08 am

USA is a registered user.

Damn, you all beat me to the best jokes. I won't be able to ham it up. (See, I'm down to the dregs.)

Posted by Zawzejez, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Jan 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Where there's smoke, there's fire

Posted by jupiterk, a resident of Gemello
on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

never been to this store. I hope this business man can recover quickly and back in business soon.

Posted by C. Reader, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Their hot dogs are great.

Posted by Trisha, a resident of another community
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm

My heart goes out to the owners and families. What a way to start off 2011.
Hang in there and your fans/supporters will see you at the Re-Opening!

Posted by LFM, a resident of Sylvan Park
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Wishing Dittmer's a quick recovery. This store is a Mountain View treasure and I hope the city will fast track permits to get it operational again.

Posted by Jeff, a resident of The Crossings
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I love Dittmer's. I hope you reopen soon.

Posted by JimW, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love Dittmer's, but I'm an even bigger fan of Masa Sushi. I hope they both reopen quickly!

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of another community
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Terrible news! Very glad no one was hurt and very very glad to hear that Dittmer's will re-open again soon -- Dittmer's is an institution in our family.

Posted by Das Auge, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Dittmer's ist am besten!

Posted by Danielle P., a resident of Old Mountain View
on Jan 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Mark + family - Open quickly! My fmaily and I wish you the best!

Posted by SushiFan, a resident of another community
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Masa's Sushi has reopened!!!

Posted by phm, a resident of The Crossings
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Dittmer's - love your corned beef, your steaks, your European groceries, and your great service. They don't make 'em like Dittmer's anymore. Awaiting your grand reopening, soon I hope.

Posted by Susan H, a resident of Castro City
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Not only is Dittmer's meat good they are great community supporters who make affordable sausages, etc available to community service groups for fund raisers. Best wishes for a smooth remodeling and reopening soon! It was at least the best-smelling fire in the area in a ling time!

Posted by Voice Reader, a resident of Waverly Park
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I am so happy for a couple reasons
- that nobody was hurt
- that I finally could read a Voice blog with only positive comments

Good luck to Dittmar's. It is a unique and wonderful store - I add my wishes for a speedy re-opening.

Posted by Gayle Lundquist, a resident of another community
on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Love Dittmer's, please open soon!!

Posted by Sean, a resident of another community
on Mar 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm

This butcher's shop is part of my definition of "the good life" and I'm feeling deprived without it.