Council supports plan to move historic house

Original post made on Mar 24, 2011

A creative proposal by a developer to clear space for an office building by moving a historic house appears to have the blessing of the Mountain View City Council, at least in concept.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 9:42 PM

Posted by Ms. Park
on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:27 am

Not only Cuesta neighbors are opposed to putting several buildings in Cuesta Annex.

Posted by DCS
on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:43 am

I would like to see the Pearson home renovated, but I do not want to look at grey wall all day long. I enjoy looking at the trees and wildlife that inhabit this lot. The proposed building is scheduled to be four stories high plus underground parking. This will drastically change the quality of my life and possibly the property value of my condo. I hope the developer will listen to my very real concerns.

Posted by me last
a resident of Waverly Park
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm

DCS: Don't you think people felt the same way when your condo was built?

Posted by D
on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Don't put the house is the Cuesta Annex. I think it is time to realize we should stop filling up our open space and keep some green in Mountain View.

Posted by OMV resident
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm

@DCS - I assume you are the same DCS who was posting on the board along with the article on the BMR housing development near this site. Based on your posts collectively, it seems that you are most concerned about seeing nothing change in the immediate vicinity of your condominium complex -- precisely the definition of NIMBY. Which is ironic because, as 'me last' points out, the complex you live in is relatively new, so your home only exists because people before you had the open-mindedness to accept some degree of change.

It's also ironic to take such an approach when it was clear from the first Downtown Plan, back in 1988, that the downtown area was going to be filled in with moderate-scale (3-4 story) development. That's been the plan all along - there are no surprises here with this building - it's just a matter of the developers coming forth with the specific projects as envisioned in the plan.

Posted by DCS
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm

@OMV Resident - Is a little vegetation too much too ask?

@me last - I'm not sure, there aren't any neighbors around us, so I am going ot guess that nobody objected to this condo being built, but I could be wrong.

Posted by DCS
on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I think I understand now...

Two posters mis-interpreted my original comment, I'll try to be clearer:

I hope the developer listens to it's neighbors when they build this office complex! Building this office is one way to get the Pearson house renovated. I am supporting construction of this office building, but I don't want to look at a grey wall. I'm sure there is a way to incorporate some greenery into the design.

Posted by OMV resident
on Mar 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm

DCS - Thank you for clarifying. I think we're actually in agreement. I think we should look for an exceptional design for this building because it is an important site, and I think by all means that design should include greenery and should not include blank, grey walls.

Sometimes going taller (e.g., 4 stories rather than 3) can actually really help because you can get enough building to make the economics work while leaving some space on the site for landscaping, corner plazas, etc. Look at the building that Cascal is in, for instance... it's taller than most new buildings downtown, but I think they did an exceptional job at the design by including the plaza in front, the outdoor dining area, etc.