Voice launches community membership campaign

Original post made on Jun 23, 2011

The Voice has launched a campaign to secure a healthy future by asking readers to begin paying for a portion of the costs of operating the newspaper and its popular website, MountainViewOnline.com.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, June 24, 2011, 12:00 AM

Posted by Ron Paul 2012
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I would support this only if The Voice stops filtering comments when someone has an opposing viewpoint.

Posted by Andrei
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I wonder what this is going to do to overall circulation. In other words, is it going to still be a good idea to advertise commercially. It may not be if we are not able to reach as many people as before, while paying the same advertising money out. I think we are going to need to see actual subscriber numbers before renewing our ads.

Posted by Ned
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

"These changes threaten the viability of quality local journalism everywhere, including in our community"

Are we talking about The Voice???? Maybe if The Voice got serious about balanced reporting on the city, school, police and fire unions, and took a balanced approached to the issue of illegal immigrants in town rather than just gobbling up the party line and liberal take on everything. Until then, the only thing I will miss about The Voice not being around is that the size of the printed paper fits my bird cage perfectly!

Posted by John the Man
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Yeah..... no.

Life in Mountain View won't miss a beat if this rag dies. Certainly not going to pay for it, geez....

Posted by andrew
on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:46 am

Ned, JTM,
If it has no value, then why were you guys so quick to read the story? Somehow you find yourself on The Voice's website reading content. I'm sure it's not because you were forced to read it over a billion other websites. I think part of you will miss it if it does go away. And if it's not balanced enough, why not submit an editorial?

I enjoy a local paper and destination that I know will just be related to our neighborhood, even if I don't agree with all the viewpoints. You also have to separate their stories from editorials...and I think their stories are quite balanced even if editorials are not.