Microsoft donates computers to Day Worker Center

Original post made on May 29, 2012

Thanks to a donation of six laptops from Microsoft on Friday, Mountain View's Day Workers can access the world of cheap international calls via Skype and English language learning with Rosetta Stone, among other things.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 1:34 PM

Posted by Mr. DePortum, a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Just GREAT!!! Like putting out a fire with gasoline!!!

Posted by Observer, a resident of Old Mountain View
on May 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I thought that was what the Mountain View public library was for, especially, as pointed out in the article, "in the event that the language learning software turns out to be unpopular with the workers."

And does anyone find the following like putting the cart before the horse:

"There's been a lot of interest from workers in starting their own businesses, and "if things keep going in this direction could be we might teach something like Quickbook."

They are here illegally and they want to start their own business?!?
This is all so backwards.

As far as the XBOX... that's the last thing any impoverished class needs.

Posted by gcoladon, a resident of North Whisman
on May 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

gcoladon is a registered user.

"Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"

I still think that is a noble sentiment.

Posted by Joe the Plumber, a resident of Castro City
on May 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Just make sure you have a visa.

And it's more like your huddled masses wanting a free handout.

Posted by James, a resident of Whisman Station
on May 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

James is a registered user.

I think this is awesome, united we stand.

Posted by landels parent, a resident of Jackson Park
on May 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

landels parent is a registered user.

This sounds like a great idea. Thank you, Microsoft!

Posted by skim1@yahoo.com, a resident of Castro City
on May 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

skim1@yahoo.com is a registered user.

Microsoft never asked me if I have a dream, I do have a dream but at the moment, I need to mow my own lawn, clean up the backyard and weed my parent's place before I succumb to the pressure of hiring a day worker.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Gourmet hot dogs, sausage food truck coming to the Peninsula

Allowing Unauthorized Immigrants to Learn and Earn Legally Will Help the Economy
By Steve Levy | 29 comments | 1,957 views

Is HBO's Silicon Valley Any Good?
By Anita Felicelli | 14 comments | 1,432 views