Mountain View man makes 600th blood donation

Original post made on Aug 22, 2012

A 75-year-old Mountain View man hit a personal milestone when he made his 600th blood donation at the Stanford Blood Center Monday afternoon.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 11:03 AM

Posted by harvardmom, a resident of Monta Loma
on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

That's a pretty amazing story. What a nice thing to do. I give blood as well because it's easy and makes me feel like I'm doing something important for the community. It's easy to write a check, and I do that, too. But I like the personal touch of the blood donation.

Posted by herbert maxwell, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Aug 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm

600 donations over 60 years is 10 a year or once every 36.5 days. I believe blood can be donated only once every 56 days.

Posted by Employed in MV, a resident of another community
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Herbert you may want to read the article again.

"Mitchell donates blood components such as platelets through a specialized two-hour process that allows him to donate as many as 24 times a year. Whole-blood donors are limited to about six donations per year, center officials said."

Not only is he contributing life blood...calculate the hours he has given.

Are you a blood donor as well? The life you save could be your own.

Respectfully,

"A" Blood Donor :-)

Posted by John CEna, a resident of Blossom Valley
on Aug 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm

We get tons of comments for a blood donor, yet not even a single comment went up for the marine that lost his life.

Very despicable.

Posted by herbert maxwell, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Dear Employed in MV, a resident of another community (not further identified)

Yes, I will re-read the article thank you. Yes, I gave blood for over 40 years but after I was diagnosed as having a metastic cancer, they would not allow me to contribute any more.

Sincerely and fully identified,

Herbert Maxwell

Posted by herbert maxwell, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Dear John CEna,

There were not and still are not a ton of comments about the blood donor. The Marine Captain, son of two members of the court received a huge turn out at St Francis High School, a fly-over and significant press coverage and those demonstrations far exceed the burials of the very vast majority of others who have died for their country.

The term you posted on this site, "Very despicable." would, I am confident, not be an expression this Marine would like to have heard particularly in juxtaposition with a man who so generously gave blood to help others.

Perhaps you might wonder if your expression is mean spirited and unwarranted.