MVHS music teacher begins last year of long career

Original post made on Aug 24, 2012

Longtime MVHS music teacher Robin Kramer (seen conducting in the attached video)will retire in June. She has taught at Mountain View High School for 35 years -- long enough to remember when it was called Awalt High School. She'll miss her job, but she is confident the program is in good hands, and she looks forward to pursuing her other passions -- golf and gardening.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, August 23, 2012, 2:24 PM

Posted by Rich
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:25 am

To put Robin Kramer's accomplishments into perspective, consider this: more than 1 out of every 10 high school kids at Mountain View voluntarily get up to be at marching band practice at 7am EVERY morning throughout the fall, PLUS 2 afternoons per week and most Saturdays.

For that, they get almost no academic credit or other reward other than the value of the experience. But ask almost any band member from years ago what experiences they most recall from high school and chances are you'll hear about the band.

That didn't just happen; many, many people have worked and contributed incredibly to build that from scratch, but Robin has the vision, understanding, and drive, and, most of all, love to bring all the many pieces together.

Posted by David Codeglia
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Robin and the MVHS music program changed my life. I learned to be confident, dedicated, and completely silly. One week in the Spartan marching band helped me come out of my shell and be myself. I dont think I'd be as confident a filmmaker now if i hadn't met Robin. She is a wonderful teacher, mentor, and friend to anyone willing to try. She will be missed, but I'm excited for her to take this over-deserved break. Have fun, Robin!

Posted by Wendy
a resident of Rex Manor
on Aug 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I WISH I could have had her as my band director! I was a Freshman the last year old Mtn. View High School was open (1980-81), and I was on the side of the border that had to go to Los Altos High School when it closed. I was SO disappointed! Even so, my band memories are my favorites from my high school years...competitions, Disneyland trips, football halftime shows, parades...what a blast we had! I am PROUD to have been a "band geek"!!!

Posted by Pirvate Sector
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Aug 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Only in the public sector can one retire so young!

Posted by harvardmom
a resident of Monta Loma
on Aug 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I knew Robin when she was a student at Westmoor High in Daly City, and she was an outstanding musician then, too. Congratulations, Robin, on your wonderful academic achievements. It's been fun following your Mountain View High career all these years. The absolute very best to you, and a very happy retirement! Well earned; much deserved!

Posted by Ken
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

My sons and daughter all played for Robin (and Jason) and it has been a privilege to have them teach much more than notes and rhythms. Robin will be much missed, and Jason could not be stepping up to a better podium.

Posted by Steven
on Aug 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm

My oldest son when through 4 years in band. (grad 2008) Rich and David have exactly the perspective my family got from this experience. Definitely character building AND fun. It also is one of those 'what else do you do other than study' experiences that help college admissions essays- and when you need to work in teams in 'real' life.
Robin was a leader that inspired students - and their supportive parents.