Simitian to host forum on breast-density bill

Original post made on Sep 10, 2012

State Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, will host a forum Tuesday night to discuss the risks associated with dense breast tissue and the legislature he is spearheading that would require physicians to notify patients of their breast density.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, September 10, 2012, 10:36 AM

Posted by SickOfSimitian
a resident of Shoreline West
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Knowing there's no limit to where government can reach, Sen. Simitian has found a way to insert himself into the doctor-patient relationship.

A trip to the doctor doesn't need another piece of boilerplate information; there ought not be this law.

Posted by Whatever
a resident of Jackson Park
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I am tired of Smitian's nanny-state laws ranging from cell phone use while driving to ...my breasts?? I wish he would tackle some of the real problems in the Bay Area such as adequate low-income housing and job creation.

Posted by vfree
a resident of Waverly Park
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Arrogant politicos need to be replaced. Anyone, but Old Joe in 2012.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Any real leader would just outlaw that dense tissue directly.

Posted by Thanks Joe
a resident of The Crossings
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I don't understand why anyone would disagree with this...unless you are men and do not understand why this is important.

Clearly, doctors are not adequately informing patients of things that they need to know. I have never heard about my breast density, though have had many mammograms.

I am not a fan of Government getting into everything we do. But, if the doctors are not doing it, and it can be life/death, someone has to make them do it, I guess.

Posted by Sabrina
a resident of The Crossings
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

This is an important piece of legislation considering that prevention is one of our most powerful tools we have to fight cancer at this time. I hope that is passes, I'd certainly like to be informed if I am at higher risk of breast cancer than others.

Posted by Skeptikal
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Surely a new law is not required. I don't want people making laws about my body. My doctor and I should discuss things like this without any lawyers, judges or police involved.

And I certainly don't want to pay for my doctor to fill out an extra form so the state can enforce these discussions.

Posted by Darin
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

If Simitian is going to continue his "There Oughta Be A Law" contest, then perhaps someone else should create a "There Oughtn't Be A Law" contest.

Posted by Wendy
a resident of Gemello
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm

There goes old Joe trying to get inside the ladies' shirts.

Posted by SickOfSimitian
a resident of Shoreline West
on Sep 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Why would you assume your doctor isn't giving you clear and adequate information about your health without this legislation? Do you seriously believe that your doctor is incompetent and won't address your health issues absent a law requiring notification for this particular issue? If so, get a new doctor!

Public awareness about the issues surrounding dense breast tissue is important. But this law which mandats non-specific, untailored boilerplate text (that raises more questions than it answers) is not a sound way to achieve that awareness.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Sep 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm

There ought to be a law that says for every new law passed, 2 old ones need to be repealed.

Posted by USA
on Sep 12, 2012 at 11:54 am

Actually, of all people, Sally Lieber did come up with There Ought Not Need to be a Law.