City launches "Ask Mountain View" app for Android

Original post made on Oct 22, 2012

Whether reporting a dead streetlight, a nasty pothole or vandalism in a park, the city has a new way for residents to communicate problems to city officials.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, October 22, 2012, 1:22 PM

Posted by does it work?, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm

If I report a problem, will someone actually respond or make sure it gets fixed? Or do all these complaints wind up in the bit bucket?

Posted by gcoladon, a resident of Slater
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm

gcoladon is a registered user.

Every question I've ever asked on Ask Mountain View has been answered within a day or two. But I wasn't asking for something to be fixed, just asking for information.

Posted by droid, a resident of another community
on Oct 23, 2012 at 12:08 am

review on google play says the app won't close/turn off. User had to uninstall

Then again, if MVPD ignores publicly posted reports of gang graffiti all over elementary schools as well as across the street on their facebook page--whether it is legit or someone just fooling around-- why would they bother responding to the android app which sends them info only they can see?

Posted by Otto Maddox, a resident of Monta Loma
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:27 am

Do you think the police have the resources to scan Facebook pages looking for possible evidence of crimes?

Yet another person who has no idea how the police actually work.

Even if they could do this I'd rather not pay for it.

Posted by Sparty, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Uh it's their facebook page

Just as already mentioned.

Keep fighting the good fight though

Posted by PeaceLove, a resident of Shoreline West
on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

The app doesn't seem to exist on Google Play. ???

Posted by resident, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

There is a link to the app in the Google marketplace from the city web site. Works fine for me. Web Link

Posted by gcoladon, a resident of Slater
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

gcoladon is a registered user.

I couldn't find it the first time I searched for it, when I searched for 'Mountain View'. Then I tried searching for 'Ask Mountain View', and I found it. Not sure why the search on Google Play seems to me to be not-so-good.

Posted by AllYouCanEat, a resident of Shoreline West
on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:09 am

I found it very quickly. Maybe you might try and look for it somewhere other than Facebook. I mean there are other web pages out there. :)

Posted by Lt. Chris Hsiung (MVPD), a resident of another community
on Nov 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

@Droid: If we overlooked a report of graffiti on our FB page that is unfortunate and I take responsibility for that as I monitor and manage our department social media sites. The public should understand, however, that our MVPD social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc) should not be used as means to report crime as they are not monitored 24/7.

Anyone wishing to report a crime should still contact our main number at 650-903-6344 or in the event of an emergency, 9-1-1. Thanks!

Posted by Lt. Chris Hsiung (MVPD), a resident of another community
on Nov 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

Lt. Chris Hsiung (MVPD) is a registered user.

Forgot to add that crimes can also be reported online here: Web Link