Fired up over 'Start-Ups'

Original post made on Nov 19, 2012

A new reality show centered around the lives of several young Silicon Valley entrepreneurs has got locals buzzing. Two of the people profiled in the show "Start-Ups: Silicon Valley" say that they, and their business, are serious.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, November 19, 2012, 1:59 PM

Posted by minority, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Nov 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I am tremendously offended that this show uses an all-white cast to represent Silicon Valley. Is this supposed to be a Republican fantasy? I'm glad that I don't even receive this channel.

Posted by Neilson, a resident of Whisman Station
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Don't worry...its absolutely unwatchable, even from a valley local perspective. Who knows, but I don't see this lasting over a single season. Oh, and hilarious about the demographics portrayed. Hilarious in "so far off the mark" way.

Posted by JC, a resident of Monta Loma
on Nov 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I was annoyed that when the Way sibs went to their meeting at 500 Startups, the caption below said they were in San Francisco, which is actually right on Castro Street here in MV. I guess the real Silicon Valley doesn't make for good television (thank god!).

Posted by K Hall, a resident of Sylvan Park
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Why is everyone surprised and offended? Clearly you are too intelligent to have immersed yourself in the wasteland that is reality TV and maybe were expecting something along the lines of Ken Burns or Frontline?. This is BRAVO not PBS. The ironic thing about reality shows is that they are the furthest thing from reality. When was the last time you went to a pool party in 'sunny' San Francisco? How many people do you know living at the Four Seasons gratis because they blog about it? How many start-up entrepreneurs would pitch to a VC hungover? I would think Mark Zuckerberg would be mortified, I am sure that connection opened a lot of doors for his sister in selling this show. The show is ridiculous, it was intended to be and here we are talking about it (which was their intent). As some say, there is no such thing as bad publicity (although I am sure General Petraeus would disagree). If you are a VC or an entrepreneur, and you are not part of this train wreck, consider yourself lucky.

Posted by Oracle of OMG, a resident of Cuesta Park
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Why are so many scenes in San Francisco? Silicon Valley is in Santa Clara County. I am offended by that, the poor acting, the shallowness of the "plot" and the actors. I watched one episode trying to find one "bit"-pun definitely intended and that required all of my will power but I will never watch an episode of this sophomoric inanity again.

Posted by MV Mama, a resident of Old Mountain View
on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm

This show features the biggest bunch of self-involved a-holes on TV. I suspected it would be bad (it is on Bravo after all), but it was even worse than I thought it would be.

Posted by Justin, a resident of North Whisman
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

To 'minority'. If you did get Bravo you would realize that it is the most liberal channel in the country (which is saying something). If the show was a true Republican fantasy it would be about people of any race who work hard, take care of their families and contribute to society while not being fooled by the greatest con man the world has ever known. That being said, point taken. If this show truly wanted to show the start-up culture in Silicon Valley it would be mostly Indian and Asian with maybe a few others sprinkled in there.

And of course they are going to be way off base about what Silicon Vally truly is. Silicon Valley is Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto ... period.

Posted by @ Justin, a resident of North Whisman
on Nov 25, 2012 at 8:53 am

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Good one! That was hilarious. You could be an extra on the Colbert Report. For a second, I thought you were serious...then I kept reading and realized you were PRETENDING to be a Republican. You must have been.

Good One