Council to ask voters for a raise

Original post made on Apr 23, 2014

City Council members voted Tuesday to trim down a proposed raise in pay for themselves, expressing fear that residents wouldn't approve of a boost that would bring it up to minimum wage.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 12:25 PM

Posted by Susan
a resident of Castro City
on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I would like to see a $1,500 salary but $1,000 is at least on the way. Being on the City Council is a very demanding job with almost zero perks and a constant barrage from the public, no matter which way they vote on an issue! Many more qualified people would be able to run for office if the pay for making such huge time commitments and weighty decisions if the salary were more than a stipend. Count me as a supporter!

Posted by Konrad M. Sosnow
on Apr 23, 2014 at 3:14 pm

While I have often disagreed with the positions of City Council members, I acknowledge that they work very hard at a difficult job.

I,for one, would like to see them paid in relation to their responsibility.

They set policy and are as valuable as many of the city executives.

I expect top performance and am willing to pay for it.

Posted by Jim Cochran
a resident of Monta Loma
on Apr 23, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I support the move to $1000 a month, or even $1200.
People are not running for the city council for the money, but it is nice to have some money coming in along with the perks that go with the job. The amount of time the council job takes is largely a matter of the members interest and the time available to do the work. A retired person is likely to spend more time attending committee meetings and talking with residents because that is what they like to do.
When I was on the council two members had a regular job and two of us worked in our own business. You can be a council member and work at a paying job.

Posted by nnnnope
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I see nobody stepping down because of this pay and I see no shortage of people wanting the positions in spite of the pay. Its not a paying position and is in no way tied to performance.
When I vote can I vote "HELL No!!"?

Posted by Ron Voss
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I'd like to see some with lower income on the Council, and I'd like them to work full time on the Council, so they would need to quit their jobs, so they would need something closer to minimum wage, so I'm in favor of a raise.

Posted by Bex
a resident of Shoreline West
on Apr 23, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I'm very surprised at the current pay of council members. I consider this a simple matter of respect. I would never expect someone to work on my behalf for free (or near free). I would strongly support a raise to $1500 a month! It is still no more than a stipend and would not make a difference in many peoples decision to run, but the council should be compensated for the time they put into the job. I'm also very surprised that an editorial would come out against such a small raise, especially in comparison to other city employees and the budget of the city. Count me as a "YES" vote!

Posted by Local Observer
a resident of North Whisman
on Apr 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I periodically work with members of the Council, and am aware of the tremendous commitment they make to the City. Whether or not you agree with their politics, even at $1,000 a month they are a bargain. For those who disrespect any politician, any amount is too much, but for those without the blind dislike and distrust, hopefully this is a reasonable request.

Posted by Roman
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:05 pm

When you pay city council members $600 a month to administer an almost one quarter of a billion dollar ($241,000,000+) budget, what do you expect? We have exactly what we pay for.
If you had $241,000,000+, that's 241 million dollars, A YEAR to invest would you feel comfortable having someone who makes less than minimum wage administer it for you?
Let's begin to fix Mountain Views mess from the bottom up and establish a competitive compensation program so that highly qualified citizens who listen to the people can and will want to run for these important offices that affect every person and business in Mountain View.
It appears that right now special interest groups are exerting a lot more influence than should be allowed.
Perhaps with reasonable but competitive salaries and a realistic and balanced long range plan of controlled growth that could be developed and implemented by elected full time professionals we could move confidently into a future that makes sense.
We cannot change the past but we can take charge now and with vision change the future.

Posted by Steve
on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Yeah! Make google pay for it those evil greedy corporate criminals.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Whisman Station
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:04 am

What benefits and other "perks" are giving to City Council memers?

Posted by Steve
on Apr 24, 2014 at 3:36 pm

No problem raising the council members' pay. Dismiss the city manager and divide his salary among them. But in return they'd actually need to do their jobs... which is representing the interests of the citizens and not those of city staff.
Currently, their positions seem to consist of skimming through an avalanche of staff reports and then applying the ceremonial 'OK' rubber stamp to their recommendations. Even minimum wage is too much for that job performance.