City eyes new technology for downtown parking

Original post made on May 23, 2014

As the number of cars being parked downtown reaches unprecedented levels, on Tuesday, City Council members considered the use of electronic signs to alleviate traffic caused by drivers hunting for parking.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 23, 2014, 7:50 AM

Posted by Parker
a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 23, 2014 at 10:10 am

"We are still getting complaints from people, despite enhanced enforcement."

The enhanced enforcement began less than 2 months ago. Most people haven't even figured out it's happening yet.

The enforcement sensors the article refers to are automated license plate readers which look at every license plate downtown and build a database of what cars are where and when.

Posted by Privacy
a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 23, 2014 at 10:26 am

What is the data retention policy on this licence plate reader? The current leaders can say its for parking only and there is no intent to use it to keep track of peoples whereabouts but new leaders in a few years can change their minds to take advantage of this tool "we already have but haven't been using to it's fullest extent".

Posted by Crimminal
on May 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

I am very worried such a system will be able to track my criminal activities.

Oops, I mean I have privacy concerns. Uh....

Posted by @Crimminal
a resident of Martens-Carmelita
on May 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm

People are not just concerned about privacy with respect to criminal behavior. Do you have curtains? Do you share your bank statements with others?

Posted by Ron
a resident of Waverly Park
on May 23, 2014 at 2:12 pm

@@Criminal (since you didn't use a unique handle)

I cannot fathom ANY reason I could care why anyone in the city had data that I had been downtown. I don't show my bank statements, true. But I don't care if the city knows I parked there.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Waverly Park
on May 23, 2014 at 2:13 pm

So my only issue with the parking space sensors in the garage is that the ones in Santana Row work pretty poorly.

Posted by Joel Lachter
a resident of Slater
on May 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm

@Ron

While part of me is okay with the new "no privacy", "I have nothing to hide" world; it is pretty easy to fathom why people wouldn't want other people to know where they are. Suppose you had a restraining order out against someone or stopped on the way home to buy your spouse a surprise gift.

Posted by George
a resident of Rex Manor
on May 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Strange.... none of the above comments seem to care about BIG BRO coming further into their lives.

For god's sake...wake up..... It is not worth the dollars, nor the invasion.. Is our tiny city so huge now that we need to do these draconian things ?

So let us drive downtown, let us find a spot to park... Better than spending these absurd funds and lose our privacy

Posted by Worried
on May 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I'm worried that this will make it easier to enforce parking regulations in downtown MV. Wake up people! :)

Posted by Parking Woes?
a resident of Blossom Valley
on May 24, 2014 at 5:55 am

yet another thing i don't have to worry about on my bike

Posted by Kathy
on May 24, 2014 at 8:25 am

@Ron: The sensors at Santana Row have been fixed and now work almost perfectly.

Posted by MVResident67
on May 24, 2014 at 10:16 am

Food for thought:

Web Link

Web Link

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." ;)

Posted by Mr Adviceo
a resident of Bailey Park
on May 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Only Google employee's should be allowed to park down town as a courtesy for making MV what it is.

Posted by Some guy
a resident of Whisman Station
on May 27, 2014 at 10:36 am

Santana Row parking technology works people. It's great how it displays the amount of spaces before entering the parking structure, also there are red & green lights over EACH parking space which designates if it is taken or not. This helps when looking down the long aisles and seeing at a quick glance if something is available or not. Go check it out, you'll be impressed...

Posted by Konrad M. Sosnow
on May 27, 2014 at 2:33 pm

We have a high expectation of privacy in our homes but we willingly agree to an electronic search at airports. Our streets and businesses (banks, 7/11 etc.)are full of video surveillance devices. When you are out and about, you are constantly being photographed.

Tiburon has cameras that photograph all car license plates for cars coming or going. I visit Sam's Rsstauarant and Corinthian Yacht Club without concern.

Mountain View taking pictures of my license plate when I park is not a big privacy concern. Just keep the cameras out of my home, car, boat, etc.

Posted by DC
a resident of North Whisman
on May 27, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Sunnyvale mall has them they work great 269 open space out of 300.