Former Assemblyman Ira Ruskin dies from brain tumor

Original post made on Jul 8, 2014

Longtime former state Assemblyman Ira Ruskin, who represented Palo Alto for six years, died on July 3, according to his family. He was 70 years old.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, July 7, 2014, 4:11 PM

Posted by harvardmom
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jul 8, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Ira was a nice man and will be missed. Four years ago he and I were bidding on the same item for a silent auction at a Democratic Party fundraiser, and kiddingly, I told him that elected officials weren't allowed to participate if their constituents were bidding on the same item. He got the hint and walked away, and thanks to him I won a very nice prize. A little anecdote like this makes me remember him personally and fondly.

I'm sorry to learn of Ira's passing and send condolences to his family.

Posted by Linda Curtis
on Jul 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I knew this fine man, having helped campaign for him over many years. I met him way back and must say this truly breaks my heart. He was really an honest, caring and decent person. All political people should be like Ira. I wish he had been able to live much longer and serve on the Senate as he wanted, plus enjoy many happy golden years. He deserved to.

Posted by anonymous
on Jul 16, 2014 at 1:27 am

Sorry to hear of Ira's passing. He accomplished a lot for all of us and was an example of true public service.

Posted by Lynn Huidekoper
on Jul 21, 2014 at 12:15 am

I just learned of Ira's death. He was so courageous in his fight against his brain tumor. He kept trying to attend Democratic functions when he was able. I knew Ira from politics for many years as a politically active RN. He supported Single Payer healthcare and other improtant social justice issues. I was sorry to miss his service. I am reading what his colleagues said about him. His true democratic ideals lead him to sponsor important bills that would help his constituents. He was not in politics for the fame. As someone else said, "why can't all public officials be like Ira?" I am honored to have known him.

Posted by Stanley Kuperstein
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:49 pm

It's been many, many years since Ira and I graduated from Miami Beach High School (1961).
Ira and I were good friends and shared many fun times together. Although Ira was die-hard Yankee fan and I was a diehard Giant fan, we had many great baseball discussions.

It appears that Ira remained a 'good man' and served his community well.

My condolences to his wife.

Stanley Kuperstein