Proposal to study new BMX park is DOA
Original post made on Nov 19, 2009
Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 4:38 PM
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:50 am
Location, location, location.
This thing needs to happen and location of the park will be key. Someone at the City needs to say:
1) do we or don't we need or want a BMX park?
2) let's get user involvement early on
3) if we move forward, where should the park go?
4) assuming 'yes' progression, what might design, construction, maintenance, and liability costs be?
5) can we fund this? are there shortcuts that can save expense?
Along a parallel track, let's evaluate:
1) can the old site be salvaged?
2) can things be done to minimize concerns expressed by the (former) City attorney?
Thanks Mayor Abe-Koga for raising this issue. I am among the folks who think a place to ride a bicycle in the dirt would be well utilized, should be at a location where kids can get to it, and should not cost an arm and a leg to build or maintain.
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:32 pm
When you were a kid, didn't you have a rope to swing over the deep spot in the creek on a hot day? Or a place to push your body and your bike to new limits?
Yes, kids get hurt but it is an important part of learning our limits and sharpening our skills.
It is a sad commentary on the City Council that they can't find a solution other than bulldozing a valuable part of our quality of life.
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:43 pm
bmx park? R U KIDDING????