District gives nod to new parcel tax
Original post made on Feb 15, 2008
Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, February 15, 2008, 1:53 PM
on Feb 15, 2008 at 2:21 pm
So does this mean the teachers will get the 4.5% cola added to their pay like the firefighters in this town will get for the next 5 years? Let's see the district put their money where their mouth is because from my recollection, teacher raises and COLA adjustments have been almost nonexistent since the last tax increase. If you want to retain and recruit good teachers, pay them what they're worth, as have the surrounding school districts with higher performing schools. It's teachers that impact students more than anything else.
on Feb 18, 2008 at 6:52 pm
WHAT? AGAIN? Are we all living on the same planet? I cannot believe this.
* Teacher retention and recruitment YEAH RIGHT, DOES THIS ACTUALLY MEAN THE TEACHERS WILL GET PAID MORE. A SIMPLE YES OR NO ANSWER IS ALL THAT'S REQUIRED, BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET IT
* School libraries - Go to the PUBLIC LIBRARY instead
* Lower class sizes - They already are low! FOR PETE'S SAKE I SAT IN CLASSROOMS OF 30 OR MORE MY ENTIRE TIME IN SCHOOL.
* Music and arts programs - FOCUS ON MATH, SCIENCE INSTEAD.
* Outdoor education - WHAT!?! I don't even want to know what this is.
* Student leadership classes WHAT!?! Who came up with this wacko list. THIS IS A ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT.
* Support for English language learners OH PLEASE... HERE WE GO AGAIN FOOTING THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION TAX BILL SINCE NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO PAY FOR IT
* Extracurricular sports programs OH PLEASE
* On-site intervention specialists NOW WHAT? MORE GANGS IN THE SCHOOLS
* Intersession programming during school breaks THIS IS THE LIMIT! WHAT A BUNCH OF HOG WASH
* Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) programs TAKE THE MONEY YOU SAVE FROM PAY MORE TAXES AND GET YOUR KID PIANO LESSONS
RECALL THE BOARD, they've obviously lost their senses/
on Feb 28, 2008 at 1:06 pm
NUMB, your insensitivity is amazing. Spoken like someone who is no raising kids in the here and now. Since I am raising kids, I can tell you that these programs are absolutely necessary. It can make a difference between having inadequately educated children who roam the streets and get into trouble,growing up to be on public assistance because they were given substandard education and guidance,and children who thrive because they are exposed to a myriad of programs. Good parenting can only go so far. A great education combined with great parenting is what's needed. Our children deserve nothing less than the best we can offer. It's much more than just science and math.