One hurt, several displaced in Church Street fireThe Red Cross has provided lodging for seven people, including an infant, after a two-alarm fire destroyed part of a Church Street apartment building Monday night.
In all, about a dozen people were displaced by the blaze at 91 Church St., which firefighters say was caused by an unattended candle in one of the units.
Red Cross officials said the resident of that unit was hospitalized. No other injuries were reported.
Firefighters received the initial call at 10:30 p.m. Monday, and the blaze was "under control within a few minutes," said fire department spokesman Lynn Brown. No damage estimate was immediately available, although several units were uninhabitable due to fire, smoke or water damage.
— Staff Reports