Arrest in fire at U-Haul lot


Police have arrested a Palo Alto man they believe is responsible for setting fire to a number of rental trucks in a local U-Haul lot in July, said a spokeswoman with the Mountain View Police Department.

The man, 48-year-old Jesse Jakubik, was seen shortly after midnight sneaking through a hole in the fence out of the U-Haul lot, located at 62 W. El Camino Real, said Liz Wylie, public information officer for Mountain View police. Sgt. Tony Vieyra spotted Jakubik leaving the U-Haul property, followed him and arrested him near his truck, which was parked on Highway 237.

Officers discovered four five-gallon containers filled with gasoline and 13 empty five-gallon containers in the bed of Jakubik's truck, Wylie said. A siphon was found still inserted in one of the rental trucks parked on the U-Haul lot.

Jakubik was arrested for prowling on private property, possession of stolen property and violating his probation, Wylie said. Jakubik had been recently convicted of drug-related charges, she said.

Just before midnight on July 20, a fire burned eight trucks on the same U-Haul lot, Wylie said. Prior to the fire, the owners of the Mountain View U-Haul told police that someone had been sneaking into the lot on a regular basis and siphoning gasoline out of their trucks. The blaze prompted the evacuation of several nearby residences, due to fire's proximity to a large propane tank on the lot.

After reviewing security footage from the U-Haul lot, investigators said that Jakubik resembled a man captured by cameras on the night of the fire, Wylie said, and his jacket resembled that of the man seen in that security footage. He was charged with burglary and unlawfully starting the fire �" a charge that differs from arson. In order to be considered arson, it must be proven that the guilty party set the fire intentionally and with malicious intent. Unlawfully starting a fire means that the fire was started due to recklessness.

Jakubik was booked into county jail, Wylie said.


Like this comment
Posted by John the Man
a resident of Old Mountain View
on Sep 3, 2011 at 5:18 am

This is really poor journalism. The article says he was arrested 'shortly after midnight', but it never says what night. Was he arrested on the night of the fire, which the article says was started 'just before midnight'? Or on a more recent night?

If it is the latter, why delay in arresting him for the July fire? Has he been out on bail since?

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Truckee cafe to expand to Menlo Park
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 2,735 views

Attraction to a Person Outside Your Relationship
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 829 views


Top restaurants to check out

Mountain View Voice readers have officially decided. See which local restaurants and businesses can now claim the title — Best Of Mountain View 2017.

View Winners