Counterfeit bills arrest

A San Jose man was arrested late Saturday night after allegedly trying to refill a gift card using counterfeit money at the Walmart on Showers Drive.

Walmart security contacted police between 9 and 10 p.m. reporting that the man, identified as 25-year-old Christopher Hughes, had tried to refill the gift card with as much as $322 of counterfeit bills. Hughes had an outstanding warrant for theft, and officers suspected Hughes was under the influence of a controlled substance at the time of the incident.

Hughes was arrested on charges of possession of and attempting to pass counterfeit bills as well as the outstanding warrant, and was booked into Santa Clara County Main Jail.

Help sustain the local news you depend on.

Your contribution matters. Become a member today.

Join
Kevin Forestieri
Kevin Forestieri is an assistant editor with the Mountain View Voice and The Almanac. He joined the Voice in 2014 and has reported on schools, housing, crime and health. Read more >>

Follow Mountain View Voice Online on Twitter @mvvoice, Facebook and on Instagram @mvvoice for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Counterfeit bills arrest

by / Mountain View Voice

Uploaded: Wed, May 6, 2015, 5:13 pm

Comments

Dc
Old Mountain View
on May 7, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Dc, Old Mountain View
on May 7, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Haha.....now that's funny.

Mountain View Resident
Rex Manor
on May 7, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Mountain View Resident, Rex Manor
on May 7, 2015 at 2:40 pm

A couple of years ago, I made a purchase at a store in Mountain View and got change back, including two 20's and a 10. Later that day while I was at my bank, I deposited a check and the change I received. My bank said the machine indicated the cash was counterfeit. (and they gave it back to me). So I went to the police department and met with an officer. He looked at the bills and said they looked real, but he used some kind of a pen and it indicated the bills were counterfeit. He said, "Well, what would you like us to do?" I told him the location of the store I got the change from and he suggested I take the bills back to them and ask them to change them for real money. So I went back to the store and told them the bills they gave me were fake and the girl at the counter didn't act surprised and just gave me my money. I thought the whole thing was very odd. First the bank giving me the fake money back and then the police officer giving me the fake money back and suggesting I take it back to where I got it from. I really thought I was out $50, but that wasn't the case. I wonder if the fake money is still circulating around town.

DC
Sylvan Park
on May 8, 2015 at 5:52 pm
DC, Sylvan Park
on May 8, 2015 at 5:52 pm

It 's funny only if he pays his bail in cash with 20's and 100's.

I was once told to send the possible fake bill to the government (treasury). Which they then kept and sent a letter that the bill were fake.