News

House fire injures resident, firefighter

 

A Mountain View man was hospitalized yesterday following a house fire that burned through the garage, causing damage to the home and a gas line.

The fire was reported around noon on Sunday, Nov. 29, in the 3300 block of Villa Robleda Drive. When fire crews arrived, the blaze had extended from the garage to the first and second floor of the nearby home, according to Mountain View Fire Department spokesman Lynn Brown.

The heat of the fire melted the gas meter, allowing gas to flow and burn out of the home's gas line, Brown said. Because the flames prevented fire crews from reaching the electrical panel, PG&E crews has to be called to shut off gas to the home, he said.

One man, a resident of the house, was hospitalized and later released for minor injuries, and one firefighter was injured and treated at the scene.

Firefighters were able to save most of the interior of the home, though the house was deemed temporary uninhabitable, Brown said. The garage, on the other hand, was severely damaged.

"People tend to have things in their garages (like fuel) that burn pretty well, unfortunately," Brown said.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Rose International Market reopens in Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 11 comments | 6,044 views

The HSR Decision
By Steve Levy | 8 comments | 1,375 views

The Other Greenhouse Gas
By Sherry Listgarten | 6 comments | 1,345 views

Couples: Mirror, Mirror on the . . . Fight?!
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,129 views

Meet the Nurdles
By Laura Stec | 6 comments | 994 views