County to file lawsuit against President Trump's order

The Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors decided Tuesday evening to sue President Donald Trump over an executive order he signed last week.

The board made the unanimous decision in a special closed session held immediately before a hearing on hate crimes.

The executive order issued on Jan. 25 lays out an aggressive immigration enforcement plan that would cut federal funding to jurisdictions such as "sanctuary cities" that refuse to cooperate fully with immigration authorities.

County counsel James Williams will file the lawsuit on Thursday or Friday to block what board president Dave Cortese's office called "an unconstitutional act" that would "cripple" state and local governments that do not comply.

The county receives about $1 billion every year in federal funding, largely to support critical health and human services for underserved populations, according to Cortese's office.

Cortese, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-San Jose, and San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo pledged at a news conference outside the Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network in San Jose last week to not comply with the order.

Educators from around the county also pledged on Jan. 18 to protect students from any information-gathering that may lead to deportation or entry in a "Muslim registry" proposed by Trump.

— Bay City News Service

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

94 people like this
Posted by Tina
on Feb 1, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Are my tax dollars going toward these people's salaries? I do not agree with this lawsuit, how do I, as a legal immigrant citizen, opt out of this?

76 people like this
Posted by @Tina
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 1, 2017 at 3:38 pm

I'm surprised this wasn't covered in the citizenship ceremony. Let me help you out. Taxes are collected by the government for many purposes. In fact, they will often fund things you personally do not agree with. For example, much of your tax money is spent on funding the largest military in the world! We do not get to pick and choose which individual things tax dollars are spent on. This power is left to the legislature, which is an elected body tasked with writing laws. You can contact your legislatures to change their minds, or you can work to have a different person elected that more closely aligns with your desires. This is called democracy.

I hope this helps!

18 people like this
Posted by Sarah1000
on Feb 1, 2017 at 8:52 pm

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
-Martin Niemöller

Thanks to the BOS for speaking out.

16 people like this
Posted by Thank you!
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Feb 2, 2017 at 7:37 am

I'm glad that local government is pushing back against this 21st century Hitler. I truly wish that we could deport all of the horrible people that voted for him, but the world would prefer more Syrian refugees than our home grown deplorables.

24 people like this
Posted by Jerry
a resident of Jackson Park
on Feb 2, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Looks like the Board of Supervisors are going to GET FIRED!

19 people like this
Posted by Anita
a resident of Bailey Park
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Homeless US citizens and illegal immigrants fight for our tax dollars. Who has more advocates on their side?

23 people like this
Posted by @Jerry
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:36 pm

It seems like you are also confused about our government. Hopefully, I can clear some things up for you, as well. The county Board of Supervisors is an elected body that oversees the operation of our county government. Since they are elected, the primary way for them to be "fired" would be to lose reelection. In this instance, Donald Trump is massively unpopular in Santa Clara County, so opposing his policies is likely to be extremely popular here, and in fact is a great demonstration of the will of the people. This is how democracy works.

133 people like this
Posted by Oldschoolguy
a resident of Rex Manor
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Do not spend one cent of taxpayer money on this lawsuit.
Do not spend one cent of taxpayer money on illegal immigrants, period.
I do not pay taxes to have them handed out to illegal immigrants who have NO right to be here.
Instead of wasting our tax dollars on illegals how about using it to house our homeless CITIZENS. You know those people who actually deserve to have our tax dollars spend on them and not someone who broke Our laws to be here.
Stop the nonsense and uphold our laws.

76 people like this
Posted by Otto Maddox
a resident of Monta Loma
on Feb 2, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Your poor people.

We live in a Republic.

And as unpopular as Donald Trump may be in this part of the country money still talks.

The Feds use money to force the states to do lots of things. If they state doesn't comply they don't get the money.

It's amazing how angry Democrats get when they encounter someone who has a different opinion. Demonizing the people who voted for Donald Trump is not going to help in the next election. Seems like you should have learned that in grade school.

5 people like this
Posted by Mark
a resident of North Whisman
on Feb 2, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Hi Oldschoolguy,

Sounds like you support the sanctuary city policy then, where city shouldn't be spending it is limited tax money, on helping federal agents on enforcing unlawful policies.

20 people like this
Posted by @Otto Maddox
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 2, 2017 at 3:42 pm

LOL

The only people here who seem angry are the conservatives, who want so desperately to throw out their neighbors.

9 people like this
Posted by @Tina
a resident of Castro City
on Feb 2, 2017 at 4:21 pm

[Post removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]

3 people like this
Posted by used to be "conservative"
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Feb 2, 2017 at 5:12 pm

until it came to be associated with political REACTIONARY! Or Alt-Right.

16 people like this
Posted by Law Abiding Citizen
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Feb 2, 2017 at 6:01 pm

To @Tina,
"We do not get to pick and choose which individual things tax dollars are spent on.This power is left to the legislature, which is an elected body tasked with writing laws."

And this elected body does not get to pick and choose which Federal Laws they will follow and which ones they won't... without consequences. Just like elections - this decision will have consequences. And likely not good ones for the illegal immigrants they are choosing to protect over our own citizens.

5 people like this
Posted by Did you read the headline?
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Feb 2, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Yah, that's why they're bringing the lawsuit, all nice and legal system-y. The legal process has started (key word, legal). To disturb it might bring...consequences. We'll just have to wait and see where it all goes now.

11 people like this
Posted by @LAC
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 2, 2017 at 6:47 pm

It's really sad how easily people want to sell out their neighbors and families. We need to find our Christian values again, and live lives full of love and empathy in service of our Lord.

10 people like this
Posted by Online name
on Feb 2, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I did not vote for Trump, however,after seeing the the violence against Trump supporters at the Trump rally in San Jose a few months back, I have different view point against undocumented people. What would happen to Americans if we went to a political rally in Mexico and voiced our opinion? Let alone conducted violent actions against Mexican Citizens......Think about it.

Thanks to all the people of Alt-left, that idiot is our President now.

9 people like this
Posted by @Online Name
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 2, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Why are you upset at undocumented people due to what happened at the Trump rally? Did you check their immigration papers? I'm sure you know that not all Latinx people are undocumented, so there must be some other way you learned about their immigration status.

Finally, as our Lord commands us, we must have love and forgiveness for all people. May God bless you.

13 people like this
Posted by Richard
on Feb 2, 2017 at 11:44 pm

It is obvious that there is different opinions here. I do not support either this lawsuit. I do not support violent demonstrators, whether from legal or illegal immigrants. This has nothing to do with charity or love of God. Jesus never taught us violence. If the county wants to consider such lawsuit, let there be a vote from all the residents. There are many other ways to help the needy without spending our tax money in unlawful lawsuits that only represent the wishes of a minority. I am an immigrant too, but I came here legally. I would never expect to have any privileges, particularly if I was illegal.

146 people like this
Posted by Online name
on Feb 3, 2017 at 12:29 am

I am sure the majority of violent protesters were in fact U.S. citizens. But the main platform of Trump is about undocumented immigrants. Let's face it, most rich folks that live in sanctuary cities do not want these folks to be legal. All they want is cheap labor, non-voting cheap labor to be exact. Otherwise something would have been done already.It has been 31 years since the last amnesty, what a disaster.

9 people like this
Posted by @Richard
a resident of Cuernavaca
on Feb 3, 2017 at 7:39 am

From Matthew:

Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’

“The King will answer them, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

“Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’

“Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’ These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

36 people like this
Posted by @Mark
a resident of Rex Manor
on Feb 3, 2017 at 4:39 pm

How to you get that I support sanctuary cities when I specifically state to not spend one cent of tax payer money on them and to UPHOLD the law.
[Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]
-oldschoolguy

5 people like this
Posted by NoNeckJoe
a resident of Bailey Park
on Feb 3, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Enough of the silly Jesus talk. Not everyone believes in the same imaginary man in the sky.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Beer and brats: Ludwig's German Table coming to Mountain View