Public meeting called to discuss city pot rules

Mountain View officials are trying to gauge public reaction to marijuana being allowed in town. Starting this month, the city is launching a community discussion and survey to gather public opinion on loosening local rules on recreational pot sales.

In 2016, California voters overwhelmingly passed Proposition 64, opening the floodgates for recreational marijuana to be sold in the state. But while pot is legal, Mountain View and many other cities have held off on allowing retailers to open up shops within their borders.

Last month, city officials decided to allow commercial marijuana deliveries to be made to Mountain View, although they held back on sanctioning pot sellers to establish themselves within the city. These rules will be revisited later this year in order to provide time to study land-use rules and gather public input. City officials are also considering a potential ballot measure to tax marijuana sales that would go on the November ballot.

The city is planning to discuss these cannabis regulations at a community outreach meeting, scheduled for 6-7 p.m. on Feb. 15 at the Mountain View Council Chambers at 500 Castro St. The city is also launching a community survey, which can be found at the city's website.

Comments

83 people like this
Posted by It's Alright
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Feb 13, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Once it's not "New, different and scary" and people realize it's nothing to get worried about the rules will begin to relax. They already have in fact.
Remember all the doom that was going to occur when they made medical cannabis legal? What was that, like 25 years ago? Still waiting on all that doom.

The community is taking baby steps so people won't freak out over nothing, which is totally fine IMO.

49 people like this
Posted by baby boomer
a resident of Rex Manor
on Feb 13, 2018 at 5:54 pm

What's wrong with the City Council? They've had a year to figure this out and we're missing out on tax revenue. I've been puffing for 40 years and still have a real job, own a home, etc, etc. We should have cannabis dispensaries on every street corner!

10 people like this
Posted by AllYouCanEat
a resident of Monta Loma
on Feb 14, 2018 at 8:35 am

Like dude! I toootally agree... Wait, whats a baby boomer? Dude, is that like a bong? My bud says its an awsome video game. Is it both? I mean, maybe it could be? AWSOME, token and playin the same time!

Ah, yea. Dude, dope should be available anywhere. Whoa dude, even at my school! No way... Way? Dude, its medicine so everyone should have it everywhere. Ya know... I mean... Wait?

4 people like this
Posted by Uh-Oh
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:11 am

I think someone went fishing for a button to push and found one. Of course his post was silly. Ignore them and they usually go away.

5 people like this
Posted by Mike Hunt
a resident of North Whisman
on Feb 16, 2018 at 6:50 pm

As person of color I find it term marijuana very offensive. I really wish the press would use the word cannabis instead of this ethically disparaging term!

2 people like this
Posted by Phil McCrevass
a resident of North Whisman
on Feb 17, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Should be avalible everywhere booze and smokes are reguardless of proximity to any zones schools and so on.

2 people like this
Posted by Juan
a resident of Rengstorff Park
on Feb 17, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Juan is a registered user.

It should be disallowed within 1 mile of elementary schools and 1/2 mile of parks. That pretty much excludes the entire city. We should not be inviting drug violence and related drug crime into our city.

2 people like this
Posted by Jacques Strap
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Feb 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm

As along time cannabis grower in Mountain View who lives within lets call it a couple hundred feet of one of the Jr. school the fuzz has never been to my home for any reason. Yes thats right zero crime! I have been to the clubs in San Jose its a pain in the rear to drive all that way. Could you imagine driving all the way to San Jose to get a six pack of beer or a bottle of wine, people in mountain view would be incense at the notion.

FYI I own my own home and have a Phd in hard science.

2 people like this
Posted by Hugh Jass
a resident of Castro City
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:08 pm

I like to vape flowers and concentrates with my fellow soccer moms. I am tired of giving my money in the form of taxes to San Jose and SF. I want to support my city via the taxes so those funds are giving back into the Mountain View community.

4 people like this
Posted by Moe Ron
a resident of North Bayshore
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:15 pm

While I have never indulged in cannabis because the difficulty in procuring it. That being said if there was a store or three in the city I would partake, sure beats a hangover!

2 people like this
Posted by V. Sifuentes
a resident of Rex Manor
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:36 pm

As educator, I would like access to a local dispensary. So I can pick something on the way home after dealing with unruly children and their parents.

2 people like this
Posted by T. Sayer
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:57 pm

I would love to see retail stores in this city. Furthermore I like to see the city of Mountain View take a page from Berkley and make this city a cannabis sanctuary city. Go Bears!

2 people like this
Posted by Scott Johnson
a resident of St. Francis Acres
on Feb 17, 2018 at 5:19 pm

The Mountain View Rotary Club endorsees cannabis retail businesses.

Like this comment
Posted by Dr. Green-Thumb
a resident of Bailey Park
on Feb 17, 2018 at 5:40 pm

While a club would be ideal to get a greater range of products like cannabis infused personal lubricant. Us old timers liked to trade our ounces at the farmers market but we had to shut that down, darn millennials ruined that.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Opening alert: Dumpling Garden in Mountain View

Always Moving: Jazmin Toca's Tale of Joy, Disability, and Purpose
By Aldis Petriceks | 0 comments | 1,293 views

Couples: Do you Really Agree or are you Afraid of not Agreeing?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 632 views

2018 guide to summer camps

Looking for something for the kids to do this summer, learn something new and have fun? The 2018 Summer Camp Guide features local camps for all ages and interests.

Find Camps Here