News

People trapped in elevators after utility fire knocks out power, sparks grass fires in Mountain View

A transformer attached to a utility pole caught fire in Mountain View on Tuesday afternoon, causing several small grass fires as well as a power outage that left people stranded in elevators at two properties nearby, the city's fire department said.

Crews responded at 4:07 p.m. to a 911 call about a transformer explosion and multiple grass fires in the 600 block of North Whisman Road.

They arrived within minutes and found six small grass fires and a downed power line. Crews closed North Whisman Road in the area and extinguished the fires.

The Fire Department also received reports about people trapped in elevators at the two properties, and PG&E was able to restore power to those buildings and free the people inside, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported from the fires and the scene was turned over to PG&E to fully restore service to its customers in the area.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Mountain View Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

— Bay City News Service

Follow Mountain View Voice Online on Twitter @mvvoice, Facebook and on Instagram @mvvoice for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

People trapped in elevators after utility fire knocks out power, sparks grass fires in Mountain View

Uploaded: Wed, Feb 12, 2020, 11:26 am

A transformer attached to a utility pole caught fire in Mountain View on Tuesday afternoon, causing several small grass fires as well as a power outage that left people stranded in elevators at two properties nearby, the city's fire department said.

Crews responded at 4:07 p.m. to a 911 call about a transformer explosion and multiple grass fires in the 600 block of North Whisman Road.

They arrived within minutes and found six small grass fires and a downed power line. Crews closed North Whisman Road in the area and extinguished the fires.

The Fire Department also received reports about people trapped in elevators at the two properties, and PG&E was able to restore power to those buildings and free the people inside, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported from the fires and the scene was turned over to PG&E to fully restore service to its customers in the area.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

resident
Old Mountain View
on Feb 12, 2020 at 11:52 am
resident, Old Mountain View
on Feb 12, 2020 at 11:52 am
2 people like this

PG&E at it again


PG&E Rep
Bailey Park
on Feb 12, 2020 at 2:23 pm
PG&E Rep, Bailey Park
on Feb 12, 2020 at 2:23 pm
2 people like this

Well dang me. The dern thing just done and blowed up. Huh.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.