Police arrested a Concord man last week after he allegedly attacked a resident with a machete near Rengstorff Park in the early morning hours. He was later spotted driving away in a stolen vehicle.
Officers said in a statement Saturday that there were reports of a fight on Crisanto Avenue next to the park around 1 a.m. on Wednesday, March 31. The victim, a 43-year-old Mountain View man, told police he was walking back to his car on Crisanto when "several men" approached and attacked him.
One of those suspects had a machete and struck the victim, police said. He suffered "superficial" wounds to his upper body, and was not seriously injured.
An officer stopped the Concord man, who was driving away from the area in a grey sedan, and found a large machete hidden in the vehicle, police said. The vehicle was also reported stolen out of a nearby city days prior to the incident.
The 32-year-old man was arrested and booked into Santa Clara County jail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and receiving stolen property. A 19-year-old passenger in the man's vehicle was not arrested, police said.
The cause of the fight is under investigation.