News

No injuries reported after RV fire at Mountain View safe parking lot

The Crittenden Lane safe parking lot in Mountain View as seen on April 23, 2020. Photo by Magali Gauthier.

A fire destroyed a recreational vehicle early Monday morning at a Mountain View safe parking lot that offers parking space and services for people living in their vehicles. No injuries were reported in the blaze, which caused $20,000 in estimated damages to the vehicle and its contents.

On Monday, Dec. 12, at 12:38 a.m., Mountain View Fire was dispatched after a 911 call reported flames coming out of an RV parked at the Shoreline Amphitheatre Parking Lot B on Crittenden Lane, according to a Mountain View Fire Department press release.

Occupants of other RVs heard the resident of the burning RV yelling for help, but he had escaped the vehicle via a rear window before firefighters arrived.

Neighbors moved nearby RVs to prevent the spread of the flames and firefighters doused the fire, which was contained to the one vehicle, fire officials said. Crews determined that the fire was caused by improper storage of a heating device.

The Shoreline lot is part of the safe parking program operated by social services nonprofit Move Mountain View in partnership with the city. The safe parking program includes fire prevention measures, the fire department release noted.

Help sustain the local news you depend on.

Your contribution matters. Become a member today.

Join

Move Mountain View serves those living in vehicles in Santa Clara County "due to a combination of challenges," and that a majority of the participants are "neighbors who have wrestled with affording Bay Area housing due to medical hardships, loss of job or reduction in work hours, or other unexpected financial hurdles," according to the organization's website.

Stay informed

Get the latest local news and information sent straight to your inbox.

Stay informed

Get the latest local news and information sent straight to your inbox.

Heather Zimmerman
Heather Zimmerman has been with Embarcadero Media since 2019. She writes and edits arts stories, compiles the Weekend Express newsletter, curates the community calendar, helps edit stories for the Voice and The Almanac and assists with assembling the Express newsletters for those publications. Read more >>

Follow Mountain View Voice Online on Twitter @mvvoice, Facebook and on Instagram @mvvoice for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

No injuries reported after RV fire at Mountain View safe parking lot

by / Mountain View Voice

Uploaded: Tue, Dec 13, 2022, 1:41 pm

A fire destroyed a recreational vehicle early Monday morning at a Mountain View safe parking lot that offers parking space and services for people living in their vehicles. No injuries were reported in the blaze, which caused $20,000 in estimated damages to the vehicle and its contents.

On Monday, Dec. 12, at 12:38 a.m., Mountain View Fire was dispatched after a 911 call reported flames coming out of an RV parked at the Shoreline Amphitheatre Parking Lot B on Crittenden Lane, according to a Mountain View Fire Department press release.

Occupants of other RVs heard the resident of the burning RV yelling for help, but he had escaped the vehicle via a rear window before firefighters arrived.

Neighbors moved nearby RVs to prevent the spread of the flames and firefighters doused the fire, which was contained to the one vehicle, fire officials said. Crews determined that the fire was caused by improper storage of a heating device.

The Shoreline lot is part of the safe parking program operated by social services nonprofit Move Mountain View in partnership with the city. The safe parking program includes fire prevention measures, the fire department release noted.

Move Mountain View serves those living in vehicles in Santa Clara County "due to a combination of challenges," and that a majority of the participants are "neighbors who have wrestled with affording Bay Area housing due to medical hardships, loss of job or reduction in work hours, or other unexpected financial hurdles," according to the organization's website.

Comments

MyOpinion
Registered user
Old Mountain View
on Dec 15, 2022 at 7:20 am
MyOpinion, Old Mountain View
Registered user
on Dec 15, 2022 at 7:20 am

So much for ‘safe’ parking. Aren’t these RVs inspected before being admitted to the program? Why didn’t the Voice post the photos provided by the MVFD showing the devastation of this fire? If this occurred on city streets crowded with RVs it would have been a real disaster. The adult male resident of the burning RV was heard yelling for help but left the scene before making contact with fire department (?). This is 2nd RV fire, in 4 months. Combustible materials, faulty wiring, heating and septic systems are a huge risk to public safety, ignored by the City of Mountain View.


Jerry
Registered user
another community
on Dec 15, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Jerry, another community
Registered user
on Dec 15, 2022 at 7:20 pm

@MyOpinion Absolutely right about it would have been a disaster if were on a city street. Particularly if adjacent RV's were not in operable condition.

The RV's not being inspected is direct byproduct of California's "Housing First" initiative which seeks to remove most bureaucratic barriers to housing the homeless. That sounds great on paper, but it means that safety inspections of RV's won't happen. If that was a criteria for program entry, half the RV's wouldn't pass and occupants would just end up on public streets anyway.

It probably didn't occur to the safe parking program operator to have sites (even church lots) require a fire extinguisher nearby. Fortunately this site is right next to a fire station. Search google news for "rv fire" and you'll be horrified how many people die like this each year.


Sandy
Registered user
Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Dec 16, 2022 at 10:46 pm
Sandy, Another Mountain View Neighborhood
Registered user
on Dec 16, 2022 at 10:46 pm

This could happen to anyone houses get burn also people talked like omg rvs are not safe


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.